[Amps] Why no images allowed?

Ron Youvan ka4inm at tampabay.rr.com
Fri Aug 13 13:54:48 PDT 2010

Bill, W6WRT wrote:

> Are there still security or other reasons why the reflector will not
> allow .jpg images to be attached to emails? Especially on this
> reflector, having the ability to display schematics and pictures would
> be a great help, I'd think.
/*snip*/
> What do you think?

   I don't care because I don't worry about any viruses as I use LINUX which is 100% free from
infection from all M$ malwear, but viruses are just one reason to dis-allow binaries.  Another big
reason is spam, spammers wanting to sign up so they can post their big slick HTML advertisements shy
away from text only groups, then there is the poor guy/gal with a dial up circuit that is doing good
to connect at 28 kB/s must down load huge binaries even if they are not interested in seeing them,
making them download them all just to see what is discussed means they smoke another pack of
cigarettes each day, do you want that on your conscience?

   An alternative is simple, but not being part of the team that brings Amps to you I can only
recommend.  Postings with binary attachments can be snagged by the server and sent to the
administrator and he/she/it can upload them to a FTP server and forward the original E-mail with a
link in place of the original attachment to the server, then only those interested can go get them.
  Just a suggestion.
FTP is File Transfer Protocol and it made to transfer files, every browser is a FTP client.
--
    Ron  KA4INM - rule of thumb:
                  If it's winders it needs rebooted weekly and will always benefit from more memory!