[Amps] L section of Pi-L filter

Jeff Blaine AC0C keepwalking188 at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 6 12:14:25 PST 2010

To add to the recommendations, Pi-L is excellent.

On the toroid, 3 words of caution:

1. The power dissipation comments below are exactly right.  The toroid will
heat up.  And you want to keep the heat down because the toroid
characteristics change quite dramatically at higher temps.  So mount the
toroid where A) there is air circulating around the toroid and B) do **NOT**
block the center of the toroid with mounting hardware - the max heat point
of the toroid will be in the center.

2. For the same flux limit reasons, dedicate a single toroid to each band.
So that the turns can be equally spaced and spread around the entire
circumference of the toroid.  I made the mistake of sharing the 40/80m
toroid on one band - and when operating on 40m, the local heating under the
40m part of the toroid is extreeme.  And the amp's efficiencies suffer as
well for that.  Especially in RTTY service which is my favorite mode.  I
will revise that design and dedicate a single toroid to each band.

3. Run the tank Q lower, rather than higher.  The heating and loss and
voltage problems are quite a lot less with a Q=8 than a Q=12.  And the
difference in 3rd order harmonic levels is almost zero.  On paper, higher Q
is nicer, but in the practical real world, a lower Q has many benefits -
easier tank construction, less heating, less arc potential - and (for
contest cases) a lower Q allows a greater frequency change before touch-up
retuning is required.

There are many other guys on the board with far far more experience than I
and I defer to their comments.  But these items above are lessons learned
the hard way with my first amp build.  Hope your build will be smoother than
mine was!

Best of luck and happy new year.

73/jeff/ac0c