[Amps] Ameritron (et. al.) filament voltages

Rob Stampfli rob at cboh.org
Thu Jan 28 20:24:34 PST 2010

Hi Alek,
Thanks for the response.  Personally, I agree with you that it is better
to keep the filament voltages in check for a number of reasons.  However,
here's a pointer to a post (from this list) that takes the opposite
perspective:

http://lists.contesting.com/archives//html/Amps/2007-07/msg00367.html

Tom is Tom Rauch, who had a hand in the design the AL-80B, and who
certainly knows more about building amps than I ever will.  Note he's
not disputing the Eimac claim, only counter-claiming that the hazards of
ICAS operation will typically kill the tube before an over hot filament
will.  He may well be right, but I still can't see any advantage to
running excessive voltages on the filament.  That's why I cut mine back.

I put the question to the list in hopes that someone could explain why
commercial amps always seem to be designed for higher filament voltages.
The only advantage I can see is that it gives the amp more headroom in
the event of low line voltage or soft line voltage that falls excessively
under load.  Does anyone know of any additional advantages?

Inquiring minds...
Rob / KD8WK