[Amps] Ameritron (et. al.) filament voltages

Joe Subich, W4TV lists at subich.com
Thu Jan 28 22:10:03 PST 2010

> I put the question to the list in hopes that someone could
> explain why commercial amps always seem to be designed for
> higher filament voltages.

I don't know that you can say that commercial amps are
always designed for higher filament voltages.  They are
designed to handle a certain minimum line voltage but
many areas regularly exceed that ass utilities push the
higher limit of the tolerance band to minimize current
and losses in the system.

An amplifier might easily be designed for 220 V (common
residential voltage 20-30 years ago) with the filament
transformer/winding for a 3-500Z was designed for 5.1V
(just a bit extra to account for losses in a filament
choke).  Now put that in service today in an area where
the line voltage is running 244-245V and that same tube
will see 5.6V.

The problem with amateur amplifiers, unlike broadcast
transmitters they simply don't have multi-tapped primaries
on their transformers.  In the RCA BTA-1R2 for example,
all of the transformers were tapped for 208 and 240
with additional +/- 11V taps.  The transmitter could
be matched to the line voltage within 5V (+/- 2%) from
197V to 251V.  In addition, I believe the modulator and
final amplifier supplies included a filament rheostat
to further adjust filament voltage at the tubes (4 x
4-400C).

Transformer taps cost money ... the added cost isn't all
that significant for a high price broadcast transmitter
but every amateur manufacturer in the world is looking
for ways to reduce their parts cost by $50 - $100 (and
the final list price by $250-$500).  Separate taps for
105, 110, 115, 120 Volts on dual primary transformers
for both high voltage and filament/control (plus maybe
a screen transformer) is a lot of extra cost that most
hams simply will not accept.

If the manufacturer built the power supply for the
highest possible line voltage, filament voltages that
are 15% below spec will cause as many problems as the
excessive voltage.  The manufacturer knows the average
ham won't put 500 hours a year on a set of tubes and
will never consider filament voltage when they have to
replace tubes every four or five years.  After all,
they can always blame "turn on shock" to blame for the
premature failure.

73,

   ... Joe, W4TV

tubes just as easily by