[Amps] Fw: Good amp to buy /amp notes

Ron Youvan ka4inm at tampabay.rr.com
Sat Jan 30 07:42:21 PST 2010

> Another way to look at it is that full carrier tuning for SSB gives
> you a wee bit more "headroom" than pulse tuning. I don't think it's
> good to try to squeeze the last tiny bit of power out, ESPECAILLY with
> SSB. That extra headroom will help prevent clipping and the resultant
> splatter.

   I've never related tuning with headroom and I don't get it.  Tuning has always
acted like and an adjustable attenuator to an amplifier's transfer charismatics.

   Tuning's impedance matching seems primarily to effect efficiency and inversely
device dissipation.
--
    Ron  KA4INM - He who attacks the fundamentals of the American broadcasting industry
                  attacks democracy itself.        -- William S. Paley, chairman of CBS