[Amps] RF Spike w/in SSB

WA3GIN wa3gin at comcast.net
Wed Nov 10 16:00:12 PST 2010

OK,

Question.  TS-480 and Alpha 87A.

When I key the 480 on SSB with MIC gain off I see a fast, momentary RF spike on the Alpha peak reading watt meter.

I've heard that solid state transmitters do initially emit an RF pulse when first keyed.

The 480 has delayed linear amp PTT relay closures, 10ms - 30ms.

I'm presuming that the 10ms delayed closure is allowing the Alpha to be waiting for RF from the 480 and this is why I see the RF spike on the Alpha. If I lengthen the relay delay to 30ms it may create a situation where the Alpha has not yet switched, the 480 will then send the RF pulse to the antenna as if the linear was in stand-by; the Alpha will no longer see the spike. I suspect the second scenario is preferred but would appreciate opinions.

Please answer direct.

Thanks,
dave
wa3gin at comcast.net