[Amps] Dedicated RF

Gary K9GS garyk9gs at wi.rr.com
Sun Jul 29 16:41:51 PDT 2012

Well, my point is that I'd be happy to see some
experimentation/development in SS amps, instead of another commercial
amp using hideously expensive tubes.  Let's face it, the days of the
3CX800 are numbered.  Why introduce a commercial product with expensive
and, potentially in the near future, hard to get tubes?  Other than a
handful of ham radio amplifiers, is there any commercial application for
3CX800s other than replacement parts?

If you're going to introduce a tube amp at least pick some reasonably
priced tubes.  The Alpha website lists a pair of 3CX800's at $2100.00.
That's almost 1/3 of the selling cost of this amp.

On 7/29/2012 3:50 PM, Carl wrote:
> And just what SS devices would you suggest that will run 1500W CCS and still
> give -40dB or better SSB IMD3 over 1.8-30MHz?
>
> Carl
> KM1H

Gary K9GS

Greater Milwaukee DX Association:http://www.gmdxa.org