[Amps] Dedicated RF

Roger (K8RI) k8ri at rogerhalstead.com
Sun Jul 29 20:34:14 PDT 2012

On 7/29/2012 7:41 PM, Gary K9GS wrote:
> Well, my point is that I'd be happy to see some
> experimentation/development in SS amps, instead of another commercial
> amp using hideously expensive tubes.  Let's face it, the days of the
> 3CX800 are numbered.  Why introduce a commercial product with expensive
> and, potentially in the near future, hard to get tubes?  Other than a
> handful of ham radio amplifiers, is there any commercial application for
> 3CX800s other than replacement parts?

You should be able to purchase a pair of the Freescale devices for about
half the price of one 3CX800A7. That's a max of 2400 watts. I'd think it
could be derated to 1500 watts. But even then, could 4 of the devices
derated by 50% to 2400 watts be practical.  I'd spend  a grand on them
if I could both get a decent signal out of them and depend on them for
160 through 10 or even 160 through six.  The protective circuitry is
more complicated than the amp.
BUT put a simple microprocessor in there, sample the desired points and
the coding would be simple, particularly in machine language.

I sure would like to see some IM figures for these devices.

Maybe I need to pick up some tested 8877 pulls.<:-))

73

Roger (K8RI)