[Amps] AL-82 opinions

Pete Smith N4ZR n4zr at contesting.com
Wed Nov 6 16:11:40 EST 2013

I'm pondering purchase of a (probably used) AL-82.  My current amplifier
is an SB-220, which I use like an active antenna tuner, and which
delivers 950-1300 watts 10-80 meters.. Where my K3 will fold back at
just over 2:1 SWR, the SB-220 cheerfully drives an 80M array tuned for
the CW end, up into 3800-3900.  Even though the reported SWR is over
3:1, so long as the loading control can find an output peak, I just go.

My principal reason for going to the AL-82 would be to get 160M, but I
don't want to do it if I would be trading my SB-220 for a touchy
monster.  A couple of questions:

Is the power supply adequate for 1500W CW in contest service?
Is the output circuit reasonably forgiving, compared to my SB-220?
Any other significant concerns, aside from the brute weight?

73, Pete N4ZR
Check out the Reverse Beacon Network
at http://reversebeacon.net,
blog at reversebeacon.blogspot.com.