[Amps] Best source for Gigavac GH-1 ?

Larry Benko xxw0qe at comcast.net
Sun Nov 10 10:39:52 EST 2013

Jim,

Relay contacts stick only if hot switching is involved in some way.
There is no mechanism for them to stick (unless the internal contact
pivot wears down to nothing or the spring fails) that does not involve
current.  All relays are designed to be hot switched at some current
level (extremely low for many reed relays) and it is the job of the
relay manufacturer and product designed to get acceptable life out of
the chosen part.  Yada, yada, yada.......

Now back to your issue.  I have looked at several transceivers with a
logic analyzer trying to determine the RF sequencing vs the key line to
the amp.  This value usually is controlled but I have seen on several
occasions where the microprocessor in the transceiver must be busy or
something where the timing is quite different.  This type of stuff is
hard to find and can be the cause of apparently random failures.  Of
course there are ways for an amp to guarantee no hot switching but most
do not spend the effort to do so.  Will probably never know what caused
your failures.  I do have an old Jennings RF1D that I put 20 million
cycles on it (via a tester) after I removed it from a piece of
equipment.  The operate and release times were virtually the same before
and after my tests. The tester hot switched the contacts at level less
than 1mA.

73,
Larry, W0QE