[Amps] Ten-Tec Titan 425 - input SWR high

Gerald Williamson via Amps amps at contesting.com
Sun Oct 19 10:15:25 EDT 2014

Prem, a cathode driven amplifier input impedance (and resulting vswr) is
determined by cathode current primarily You can't get enough cathode current
flow with a low power rf source such as the MFJ analyzer to create the
impedance  (and resulting vswr) you expect.

To make a valid test, you need to connect a vswr meter between the
transmitter and the input of the amplifier. Then perform the input vswr checks
using the normal driving power that is used on the air. You can easily see the
effects of input vswr as the driving power is reduced.

With the data you provided, it is very likely that there is actually no
problem.

73,
Gerald K5GW

In a message dated 10/19/2014 8:03:04 A.M. Central Daylight Time,