[Amps] GS35B Gassy, or Arcing?

Ian White gm3sek at ifwtech.co.uk
Wed Feb 25 17:04:17 EST 2015

>The getter on the GS-35B (and GI7-B, etc.)  is on the cathode.

Do you know exactly where it is, Mike - for example, in relation to any
of these photographs?

http://gs35b.com/gs35b/bang.html

>IIRC, the filament should be run for several days with no other
voltages
>applied. One site says to bring up the filament voltage gradually over
>time. Google is your friend, there's a ton on info about this out
there.

But you also need to be careful about what kind of advice you're trying
to follow. For example, there is lots of info about conditioning of the
3-500Z, but that advice is almost totally inapplicable to the GS35b
because the two tubes are so very different.

The GS35B doesn't have a filament; it's an indirectly heated cathode.
Unlike the anode of a 3-500Z, the anode of a GS35b is designed to run
cool, not hot. But the GS35b isn't much like an 8877 either, because
this is a planar triode - the electron emitting surface is the flat
white disk that you see underneath the grid.

73 from Ian GM3SEK