[Amps] The genius of ham radio

Jim Brown jim at audiosystemsgroup.com
Mon Jan 12 02:35:22 EST 2015

On Sun,1/11/2015 10:51 PM, Charles Henry wrote:
> My point is that the genius of ham radio, not highly financed esoteric research,

Most of the hams of my generation hit the books to learn how stuff
works. This was not highly funded esoteric research.

> is making things work, being the only way of getting a message passed, inventing cell phone systems, heck... inventing radio itself.

BS. How much study have you done of the guys who invented radio? Damn
little, I'd bet.

The vast majority of those who have  "made shit happen" are thoroughly
schooled guys, whether they learned it in the university or by self
study "back of the woodshed." One of the sharpest guys I know working in
pro audio and acoustics learned electronics in the military, but did
EXTENSIVE self study that resulting in him making MAJOR advances in the
state of the art. He did that NOT as a "no nothing" staggering around in
the dark, but as a guy who learned the physics and by innovative
thought, found new solutions to old problems.

Where we are today is NOT the result of an infinite number of monkeys
and typewriters producing Shakespeare.

73, Jim k9YC