[Amps] Harris DX transmitters

John Lyles jtml at losalamos.com
Sun Dec 18 13:49:48 EST 2016

The Harris DX design, first released in the DX10 in the late 1980s, used
inexpensive plastic switching FETs and was essentially a giant digital
to analog converter. The audio is first converted into digital, some DSP
magic applied, and then a whole lot of series connected modules generate
the carrier directly by turning on and off to create steps. More steps
are on for the positive peaks of carrier frequency and so forth.
Filtering into RF waveform is in the output. The audio is applied to the
gating of these switches, so as to create amplitude modulation, not just
steady carrier. Somewhere I had papers on this;
A basic 1500 watt block had 8 FETS, so at 200 kW they used about 1800
FETS. Combining five of these they made a 1 MW rig and combined two of
these for 2 MW. But the bread and butter design was the 50 kW DX50 which
has morphed into a more recent version as others stated here.
Nearly 100 MW of long wave and medium wave RF power has been supplied
with DX-type transmitters by Harris, according to Tom Yingst, former CEO
of the division. However, this technology has not been extended up into
HF range, as the transistors are not capable of switching at those
rates, at least not economically.

Harris has the honor of owning the DX design; their competitors use PDM
in their SOTA MW transmitters.
John
K5PRO

On 12/18/16 12:28 AM, amps-request at contesting.com wrote:
> Message: 2 Date: Sat, 17 Dec 2016 22:57:44 +0000 From: Steve Thompson

 > I believe, in transmitters of this type, that the modules aren't
combined in the same way we're used