[Antennaware] Low RF Output on Butternut Vertical Help???

K9AY k9ay at k9ay.com
Wed Oct 19 12:01:53 EDT 2005

Dan,

I'm willing to bet that you have RF floating around on shields and grounds. The added coax changed the system enough to reduce the problem in the shack, but increase the RF in the Satellite system.

Grounding and chokes may help, but sometimes there is simply too much RF coupled into the various wires due to the proximity of the antennas. I knew one ham who had a multiband vertical in his back yard and just couldn't do anything to keep RF out of his neighbors' telephones. When he switched to an inverted-vee off his 40-foot tower, the phone RFI went away, but more distant stations couldn't hear him as well. The cause could have been stronger coupling with vertical polarization, or the actual in-ground currents induced by the vertical and its radials. I think it was the latter.

Gary
K9AY