[CCF] [TOEC] Sweden wins Scandinavian Cup !

Mats Strandberg sm6lrr at gmail.com
Fri Oct 2 02:57:54 PDT 2009

Hello!

This is an issue that apparently has been a discussion during the years
following after the 2000 contest.

I for sure do not have any definite answer on that. My backlog in recent 20
years of SAC contests since 1990 when I participated last time shortly after
my army service, and now the past 3 years, is too limited.

One of the reasons why I am a strong advocate for a Scandinavian Activity
Contest Committee is simply because we need to have a more up-to-date
control of rules changes and other issues that otherwise can lead to
confusion.

The way I from my Swedish perspective perceive the rules for Scandinavian
Cup is pretty clear, and subjective in the same way that I would obviously
have reacted in case I was Finnish and wanted to win the Scandinavian Cup
for Finland.

I see the equal and fair competition to be when Scandinavian Cup is divided
into countries (meaning DXCC entities). The advantage of being OH0, OJ0, JW,
OY, TF or OX compared to less rare countries like OH, SM, LA and OZ is
without any exaggeration quite obvious... I would have truly enjoyed to be
able to select a more rare Swedish DXCC country than SM, but this is
unfortunately utophia after OHO was ceded in 1809 to Russia under the Treaty
of Fredrikshamn.

I would even more so have wished that OH0 was part of the less rare OH when
competing in SOMB HP Class in SAC 2009. Even if OH0Z is a fantastic station,
and that Tomi is a truly First Class Operator on both CW and SSB, and
considering that Åland has a somewhat favourable location compared to SM2
where I participated from, I must of course just admit that OH0Z is
unquestionable the winner of the individual class SOMB HP in SAC SSB 2009.
I can not claim that the advantages from OH0Z are unfair.

In the same way, I think that Scandinavian Cup, should be based on entries
from one DXCC country, rather than allowing one country to use three DXCC
countries, two of them very much more attractive to Non-Scandinavians than
the larger countries in our region.

This is strictly my opinion, and as said before, I am open to other opinions
and to discuss this subject with the other NRAU members for possible
clarifications.

The important thing for me is that SAC is a contest that is gaining
popularity and that is perceived as the best regional contest event of the
world. Scandinavian Cup stimulates the participation from all countries, and
I hope that our OH friends will also allow little brother Sweden sometimes
to feel entitled to a possible victory, in case we happen to win from time
to time.

If Finland all the time wins (with or without additional rare extra
territories), it will be boring for the rest, and reduce the interest for
SAC in the other countries.

I also hope that Denmark, Norway and Åland feel the same stimulation for
internal competition in their sizes, in the same way that OH and SM feels
about their challenge!

73 de R3/SM6LRR, Mats