W3XU Operators' Manual

Trey Garlough GARLOUGH at TGV.COM
Wed Apr 14 09:00:27 EDT 1993

> The April, 1993 issue of the FRC newsletter has an excellent article written
> by W3XU on phone contest operating techniques.  I strongly recommend
> getting a copy (anyone have an electronic version they can post to cq-contest ?).
>
> W3XU says:
>
> Confirming his information and seeking new callers:

> Inproved version:
>
> YOU: Thanks, QRZed W3 Xray United

You've got to be kidding.  I can't believe *anyone* would advocate this busted
method of operating:

DX: JA1 blah blah blah

YOU: JA1XYZ 59 Deleware

DX: Negative, it's JA1 blah blah blah, 59-100

YOU: Thanks, [QRZ message].

The DX station has no way of knowing whether you have his call right or not.
You could very well have his call wrong in your log, but this technique gives
the DX no opportunity to correct you.  It's only the minute minority of really
pesky ops (like me) who will keep calling you until you get it right and echo
it back.

If you're not going to do it right, why bother doing it at all?

--Trey, WN4KKN