80 meter split and Sunday condx

NB7241000-LondonSMDR230524 n2ic at bighorn.dr.att.com
Fri Mar 12 08:30:09 EST 1993

>From out here in Colorado, I wish more EU would operate split, transmitting
below 3750.  I spent Saturday evening at K0RF, using his 3 element 80
meter monster.  For all intents and purposes, we had no EU opening.
I found that any EU I could hear, I could generally work.  However, none
of the EU stations were more than 5 dB above the crud level.  With the
loud USA and Caribbean stations between 3750 and 3800, it was impossible
to hear much EU.  Is it my imagination, or was there more split operation
5 to 10 years ago ?

Listening to my hired gun (K0KR) on Sunday, 15 was ok (not great) to
southern EU.  I don't think it was obvious during the contest
that the band was so poor to G and other parts of northern EU.

Steve, N2IC/0