sv section nickname poll

EDWOODS at PACTIME1.SDCRC.PacBell.COM EDWOODS at PACTIME1.SDCRC.PacBell.COM
Tue Nov 16 08:41:59 EST 1993

What do you guys outside of Jerry Brownville want to hear?  Sugar
Victor, Sacramento Valley (good luck) or Sac Valley?

Previous Valley Girl warnings apply

Please reply to me at EDWOODS at pacbell.com

Tnx, Eric NV6O (not the other guy)

From: Dick Dievendorff" <dieven at almaden.ibm.com (Dick Dievendorff)
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 93 09:14:58 -0800
Subject: portable designator

> After going through my sweepstakes log, I'd like to make one suggestion...
> How about requiring stations to use a call from the proper area?  In
> other words, if I was in Montana I'd be WA1U/7 and not just plain old
> WA1U.
> I know the FCC no longer requires this, but I would!

I disagree with this sentiment.  The meaning of the number in the callsign is now just your
mailing address when you first got the call.  Many of people who would be affected have moved
permanently, and they're not "portable" at all.  If you want to know where they live, copy the
section part of the exchange.  Why add to the burden of those folks by requiring them to send
extra characters?  I lived for a while with G0/AA6MC, and busting pilups with that was a lot
more difficult than it would have been had I had a simpler call.

Dick Dievendorff, AA6MC, G0MFO