CT and serial numbers

Jeff Tucker N9HZQ tucker at eedsp.gatech.edu
Wed Nov 17 15:58:50 EST 1993

Hello, all.  I have a question about using networked CT in a
contest which involves serial numbers.  During the SS CW weekend,
we ran two computers networked together, each with CT v. 8.45.
We had a real problem keeping the serial numbers consistent
between the two computers.  Often, one station would make a QSO
while the other station was checking for a dupe.  Having
something on the callsign line seemed to mess up the serial
number.  That is, when the first station made its QSO, the number
on the other station wouldn't increment.  If it then worked a
guy, often the serial number sent and logged would be the same as
the other contact.  Sometimes, this could reach back two or three
QSO's, repeating a number given a couple QSO's ago.

Another problem was that CT would often send a different number
than was shown on the QSO line.  You might work a guy, with 1233
showing on the line, but listening to CT you note that it sent
1232.  In many cases, neither number was right, as it should have
been 1234.

Did others have this problem?  The network worked flawlessly in
that every contact made it between the two computers.  And, the
serial numbers logged in the two computers appear to be
identical.  But, before the phone SS weekend, I'd like to know if
anyone knows how to combat this problem.

Thanks es 73,
Jeff

p.s. As a related question, is there ANY other program for any
contest which supports two computers networked together?

--
Jeff Tucker    ()<                  N9HZQ