Packet points on FD

FOXG at WCSUB.CTSTATEU.EDU FOXG at WCSUB.CTSTATEU.EDU
Tue Jun 28 02:14:47 EDT 1994

I'm sending this to all on the reflector with the hope that someone
from the CAC will see this.  All comments welcome of course.

One of the more interesting FD rules concerns packet operation.  I'm sure
this was originally intended to encourage that fledgling mode.

A packet station is a free transmitter and its QSO's count as 2 points
each.  If you're QRP, and we were, it's ten points each to go on the local
packet cluster, make an announcment that you're looking for Q's and then
achieve those Q's by exchanging in the talk mode.  An interpretation
today by a member of the contest division said this is a valid contact.

It seems to me that points by this method are much easier to come by
than any other means.  In fact, in today's ham environment, these points
are like stealing candy from a baby.  It would be easy for a stationto

score 1,000 or more points in a few hours... and without using a
counted transmitter.

Shouldn't this loophole be tightened?  Shouldn't the packet advantage be
reduced?

This year's rules are on QST pages 132-133 May '94.

Geoff WA1U
FOXG at WCSUB.CTSTATEU.EDU