Rules' Spirit

WA6OTU at PUCK.CALTECH.EDU WA6OTU at PUCK.CALTECH.EDU
Thu May 19 11:47:26 EDT 1994

From:   Mark Beckwith, WA6OTU - wa6otu at caltech.edu
To:     Contest Reflector
Date:   MAy 19, 1994

Thanks to those who made me feel right at home as a newcomer.  Still looking
for those BIG Satellite, VHF, and Packet numbers on FD.  So far, biggest are
210 on Packet, 150 on Satellite, and 650 on VHF.

I wanted to throw in my take on "The Spirit of the Rules" since it is a phrase
that I use a bunch when discussing contest matters.  To start with, in my
experience, there are two ways that society holds competitions.

1.  The Informal Way where there is a basic, somewhat sketchy understanding
by most of the people involved about how it works.  Some examples are: Tag
Football and Street Racing.  People who don't comply with the rules as
understood by the majority either aren't in the running or get publicly
disregarded.  Rules debates incorporate terms like "The Spirit of the Rules."

2.  The Complicated Way where there are a ton of rules but EVERYBODY knows
EXACTLY what they all are.  Along with this comes more clearly defined
results.  Rules debates incorporate terms like "Page 6 Section F subpart C."

Maybe this debate comes down to a basic disagreement about what kind of
competition we all want to have.  For my money, I infinitely prefer The
Complicated Way, because there is far fewer latitude for interpretation.  When
the rulebook is 100 pages long, then you know exactly what you are getting
into from the start.  I like that.

I believe, though, that at present Amateur Radio Contests are held more like
The Informal Way, so we are relegated to talking in terms of second-guessing
the people who created the Contest, i.e. "The Spirit of the Rules."  I use
this term, because it is the only tool I have to convince somebody that what
they're doing is simply outside the intentions of the whole event.

No, I don't think we should all go back to using hand keys.  Technical
innovation is a good thing, but have you ever seen the rules for the America's
Cup?  There's a competition that LIVES on creative innovation, and yet is run
to one of the tightest formulas every written.  Or Formula One racing?

I would like to see us move toward The Complicated Way.  That would explain
the way I think about submitting logs on disk and tape recording your
operations.  When you think of it, how much preparation did you put into a
Saturday game of tag football when you were a kid?  How much preparation do
the guys who play college football put in?  When you're a top competitor in
the CQ Worldwide, is it more like tag football or the Orange Bowl?  I think
for the effort we, as a group of competitors, put into our game, we don't get
the kind of results we, as a group of competitors, deserves.

For now, however, we are stuck with The Informal Way.  As much as I
completely agree with KM9P, where Bill says: 'if you want it in the rules
THEN PUT IT THERE,' I am afraid that until we do it right we have to put
some weight on trying to abide by what the creators intended, i.e.
"The Spirit of the Rules."

Come to think of it, this would also go a long way to explaining my position
on Competitors and Participants - I still don't see any reason why we can't
have both.  It's not like we'd be relegating ANYBODY to second-class status
or anything like that.  It's just that some of us are frustrated by the lack
of structure and the subsequent ambiguity of the results.  For many people
things are fine the way they are.  For many people they are not.

What to do?  I would love it if the rules of the SS were 50 pages long.  I
would savor the reading of them.  I would quote passages from them.  I would
plan my life around the event.

Get a grip, Mark, you're dreaming.

73, WA6OTU