KF9PL-ARRL DX CW Musings

Sean E. Kutzko tigger at prairienet.org
Mon Feb 20 10:06:39 EST 1995

KF9PL Single op w/packet, totally unserious effort.

	Q	C
160	9	9
80	55	35
40	32	28
20	29	26
15	33	30
10	19	18
TOT	177	146	77,526 Points

I decided I wasn't going to go all-out for this one...I'm working
weekends now on a regular basis & only get so much time off, so I'm
saving it for the WPX contests.

Spent my time DX'ing instead, going for New Ones on the low bands. I was
inspired by my 40m dipole performance during the CQ 160 contest, so I
went to 160 and actually made some Q's there. This allowed me to work a
few stations on all 6 bands-something I'd never done before.

Special thanks to the Dan and the other ops at KL7Y for giving me my last
state for 160m WAS. (all worked with 100w & 40m dipole at 60'!)

6V6U was incredible...they were LOUD everywhere. Terrific job.

Question: Does anybody have the inside scoop on 9A1A & HG1S? They were
loud on the low bands, but had no ears whatsoever. Poor rcv antennas, or
just funky propagation?

Concerning the Packet "trap," I found another problem. Yes, there were
several errors, but another big problem for us was the lag time for the
spots. This Cluster network has about 50 nodes connected to it, and the
traffic was very heavy. There were times when the spots were coming in
almost two HOURS behind.

73 & See you in SSB,

Sean

--
Sean Kutzko                                         Amateur Radio: KF9PL
Urbana, IL                                          DXCC:304 worked/287 cfmd