RE 'What be this WPX?'

JGellerRVZ at aol.com JGellerRVZ at aol.com
Thu Jun 1 11:09:55 EDT 1995

ARRRRGH Matey Gordon!

This WPX contest be one the finest contests ever concocted
by the folks in the amateur radio...

W=World
PX=Prefix (i.e. N6, VA2, OT5, 4X6, HS7, WQ6, WB200, UN7...)

The idea of this contest is to be workin' as many prefixes
from as many countries as possible in 48 hours!  And unlike more arduous
competition (such as football, hockey, track &
field) you get points for just about every thing you do and you
get them for sitting up all night in the comfort of your own
home (or the comfort of the local BIG GUN station's QTH)!
Points are determined by the location of the station you work
and are multiplied by the number of countries you work and the
number of different prefixes accumulated.

Don't worry about the size of your station either!  It has been
well proven that a modest station (tribander @40 feet with 40
and 80 meter wires) can work multiple-band DXCC during this
and any of the other major contests!

Good Luck and WELCOME to contesting!
73 de Jeff, N6RVZ
jgellerrvz at aol.com