New Icom Contest rig

WD5N%mimi at magic.itg.ti.com WD5N%mimi at magic.itg.ti.com
Thu Mar 2 09:19:48 EST 1995

FROM: wd5n at msg.ti.com

subj: New Icom Contest rig

The following info was posted by Joe, 7J1AOF (N0IAT) in the ham section of
TI's worldwide network, concerning a new ICOM rig which is due out shortly.
Seeing as how it looks like it may make a dandy contest rig I thought I'd
relay the info here, for the benefit of those who may be in the market for
a new radio. Since I haven't had a chance to look at my latest QST or CQ yet,
hope this isn't old news (let's see, if I sold my IC-765 AND my TS-940, hmmmm):

 DETAILS ON NEW ICOM IC-775DXII HF TRANSCEIVER:
 I've just received the literature on this rig and have yet to see one in the
 stores.  Expected arrival here in JA is THIS WEEK, so I hope to go and take a
 closer look.  According to the photo's, the size looks to be about the same
 as the older IC-761 / 765.  Not as large as the FT-1K or the IC-781.  This
 rig seems to truly be the "next generation", utilizing much better DSP
 technology than the earlier Kenwood 950SDX.  It uses DSP in every aspect of
 the radio, from Transmit Audio/Speech compression to RX filters, notch, PBT,
 etc.  Key points from the PHOTO:  2 vfo knobs  (one big one small).  Backlit
 colored LCD display...not just black/amber.  MULTI-FUNCTION S/RF/SWR/VCC/Ic/
 meter that is B-I-G.  Built in switching pwr supply and tuner.  Dual CW "key"
 inputs (for CT and a paddle at the same time).  JA version is 100W, but I bet
 US version is a 150 or 200w, since finals are quad-dual mosfet. Dual antenna
 inputs.  I asked for an approximate price:  $3850 approx.

 Gee, wonder if Icom would give (er, loan) me one to review for NCJ?  :-)

 73 de WD5Natural Dave Harper        <wd5n at msg.ti.com>