So you want to be a W1?

randy at iconics.com randy at iconics.com
Fri Mar 3 15:49:40 EST 1995

     So you think you want to be a W1?

     Well, this morning I was up on my tower at 6:30 AM with a 16'
     extension pole banging the ice off of my antennas!  It was 20
     degrees (F), but luckily the wind was not blowing so it didn't
     feel that cold.

     Took 90 minutes on the tower to partially clear ice off of 5
     beams.

     Sure glad I did the W6QHS mods on my 40-2CD.  Lot of ice
     build-up, but the thing held up perfectly -- nice and straight.

     After cleaning, the swr on everything came to within the bottom
     of the ham bands (was about 300 khz low before I started!).  With
     some sunlight today, maybe they will return to their normal
     resonance points in the middle of the bands!

     Good luck to everyone in the contest.  This is a good year to go
     for the Top Ten as many W1's in Mass & NH are going to be badly
     affected by the icing.

     Randy Thompson K5ZD

     K5ZD at iconics.com