160 Meter DX Window

phil.finkle at sid.net phil.finkle at sid.net
Wed Nov 22 10:43:22 EST 1995

Was just reading rules for CQWW 160 meter contest. They make a big case out of
staying out of the 1830 to 1835 DX window.

160 has 2 full megahertz of bandwidth. Why can't we allocate 15 or 20 kHz
(instead of 5) to the DX window? DX normally operates from a little above 1820
up to 1840 on CW and 1840 to 1860 on SSB (this is outside of the contests).
Anyone who has ever operated a contest on 160 knows that 5 kHz is not enough
(even assuming the W/VE boys don't call CQ Contest in it).

There are more and more DX stations getting on 160. Who not give enough
bandwidth to them so they can work us and we can work them?

While, I'm on the subject, why don't W/VEs who violate this voluntary bandplan
during contests get disqualified? I've got a mind to publicly list their calls
on here after each contest. I hear many, many guys who do know better but they
violate the rules anyway!

Phil K6EID

Phil.Finkle at sid.net