AB6FO CW CQWW Results & Comments

KWIDELITZ at delphi.com KWIDELITZ at delphi.com
Tue Nov 28 19:41:17 EST 1995

                    CQ WORLD WIDE DX CONTEST -- 1995

      Call: AB6FO                    Country:  Los Angeles CA USA
      Mode: CW                       Category: Single Operator High Power

      160        7       13     1.86      5       5
       80      100      244     2.44     15      24
       40      606     1686     2.78     35      82
       20      537     1461     2.72     36      86
       15      168      422     2.51     25      48
       10       19       22     1.16      7       7
     Totals   1437     3848     2.68    123     252  =>  1,443,000

Equipment:

radio 1 - Kenwood 950SD, Alpha 87A, TopTen Decoder tied to Dunestar 600
CQ        bandpass filters & stubs, Drake MN2700 Tuner.

radio 2 - Kenwood 950SDX, Kenwood SM230, Alpha 87A, TopTen Decoder tied to
S&P       Dunestar 600 bandpass filter & stubs, Dunestar 500 bandpass filter
          in receive line, Drake MN2000 tuner.

computer  Micron P90, 90 mhz Pentium, CT 9.23, K1EA DVP, Quickpath Systems
          MultiPort I/O card

Antenna System:

W0MLY antenna switch to put any antenna on either radio and switch between
selected transmit antenna and receive antenna on radio1.

160 W9INN Sloper, K6STI 21' loop @15' on receive
80  Force 12 180S rotating dipole @72', K6STI 21' loop @15' on receive
40  Mosley Pro96 @ 78'
20  Force 12 420 @ 42'/Pro96 @78'
15  Force 12 415 @ 50'/Pro96 @78'
10  Pro96 @78'

My  goals were to beat last year's score and operate 48  straight
hours. I beat last year by about 100,000 and I didn't sleep.

Lowlites:

1. At 23:30 Friday, everything was set up and ready to go. I decided to
check WWV on packet. After running CT's COMTSRs I need to do a cold reboot
on the computer to get my packet program to work. When I turned the computer
back on, I heard a loud grinding, whining noise and got a CMOS error
message.  I got a horrible feeling in my stomach as I thought the hard disk
had died. I rebooted  again, again got the grinding sound, but this time
the  computer booted.  Then,  when I reloaded CT, it wouldn't read radio 1.
I've  had  a problem  with  COM4 before, so I switched to COM6. At 23:55 I
was  back  in business,  but had to deal with the grinding whining noise the
rest of  the contest. It turns out it was a floppy drive that had died.

2. I  had  6 single digit QSO hours. I don't think I'll do 48  straight
again until the sunspots return.

3. My second and third string headphones went out. Need some new ones.
Suggestions?

Highlites:

1. Making it 48 hours. I went 25 hours straight, took a 15 minute break,
then did 11 hours before another 15 minute break. Towards the end things in
the shack  started undulating. Wave patterns appeared in the carpet, the
950's readout took on eerie three dimensional qualities. If I was seeing
things, I got to wondering if I was  hearing things also. I needed a repeat
on just about every JA call in the 2200 hour Sunday.

2. Busting virtually every pileup in just a few calls. My callsign in
starting to get recognized in the pileups. Still can't wait for 610V though.

Comments:

160/80 meters - I finished installing a K6STI receiving loop 5' above the
garage roof  Friday  afternoon. I tuned it by running a long  headphone
extension cable  through the skylight in the shack. It seemed to work better
on  160 than 80 in terms of noise reduction, but I didn't hear anything on
the loop that  I  couldn't hear on my 160 sloper. My balloon vertical  kit
for  160 didn't arrive until after the contest.

What is the shortest a Beverage can be and still give some benefit? The
house to the rear of my property is vacant and I can surupticiously
run a wire on top of its 6' cinderblock side yard wall, drop coax to the wall
foot and bury it up to my property, bring the coax over our adjoining
wall to my property rear and into the shack, jag the beverage wire 15'
to my cinderblock side party wall and wind up with about 225' of beverage at
6' pointing at 100 degrees, forgetting the jag. There is a lot of vines on
the wall, so no one would ever see it.

I  heard  Europe  on 80 for the first time with the Force 12 rotating
dipole, but wasn't  able  to  bust  the pileups. The dipole at 72' sure beat
my old Vee with the apex at 70'.

40 meters - It is unusual for me to hear Europe on 40 in the evening. There
were plenty of Europeans both evenings. In fact on Sunday Europe was coming
through on 40 hours before sunset here. I should have checked 40 earlier.

20  meters - The Europe switch got turned on at sunrise and lasted about  2
hours.  It was amazing to hear nothing and then, out of nowhere,  the  band
was  wall to wall signals. I couldn't find a run frequency except amid the
RTTY crowd, one  of  which hunted me up and down 15 or 20 Khz in order to
jam me.

15  meters - Not as good as last year. No Europe heard. Not as  many  South
Americans as I had hoped for. No zone 12. JA runs much slower. The Force 12
415 at 50' doesn't show the benefit over the Pro96 at 72' on 15 that the
Force 12 420 at 42' shows on 20 meters over the much higher Pro96. I'm
coming to the conclusion that the Pro96 is poor on 20 but OK on the other
bands.

10 meters - NL7G was the only station I worked on all 6 bands. His was  the
loudest  signal I heard on 10. Ironically, when I worked him on 80  I  sent
"only  need  u on 10 no chance HI HI." Despite checking often,  10,  though
marginally open, yielded few QSOs & mults.

It  is  hard for me to understand how I missed a number of  DXpeditions.  I
only heard AH0A on 40 and KH0AM, XY1A, 9Q9WW, among others, not at all.
Heard 3B8  twice and it was one of the very few pileups I couldn't bust.

73. Ken, AB6FO, KWIDELITZ at DELPHI.COM