South America

Sean E. Kutzko tigger at prairienet.org
Tue Oct 31 21:21:39 EST 1995

>I wonder if anyone has success running South America? My experience has
>been poor. Seem to be a fair number of LUs, CEs, PYs, etc. calling CQ,
>and having good signals, but my own CQ brings a very limited response.

Yes, especially on 10 meters with the entry-level licensees. It does take
modicum of Spanish to pull it off, but it can be done.

>I've heard stories about guys running them when CQing and sending
>exchange in Spanish, but, like Newt, English is my forte. (I do speak
>some French, but can't imagine generating too much of an FY pileup :.) )

I think to get the Spanish you would need to do this successfully would
only take a short visit to your local high-school Spanish teacher. I did
this when I picked up enough Russian and Polish to work contests, and
just typed out a "cheat sheet" on a 3x5 index card. Came in very handy,
and I DID have an extrordinary amount of SP's in the log (or was it just
propagation?).

73,

Sean

--
Sean Kutzko						 Amateur Radio: KF9PL
Urbana, IL						 DXCC: 305 wkd/301 cfmd

	      "You can't close the door when the wall's caved in."