Tetrode QRO

W8JITom at aol.com W8JITom at aol.com
Fri Apr 5 09:30:05 EST 1996

Hi Mario

>It seems to me from recent 4-1000A discussion that GG is the only QRO
>configuration remembered.

The grid driven amp was abandoned in amateur service due to drive power,
stability, complexity and cost reasons, in spite of what manufacturers and
salesmen of tetrodes would have us believe!

Amplifiers using grid driven tetrodes cost more to build, are harder to
build, and are more critical to tune and operate than a GG triode PA. The
ONLY thing you save is tube cost. In my mind, saving a few hundred bucks on
the tube isn't worth the risk of not getting a replacement if anything goes
wrong with the sole manufacturing plant in Russia. If it was a pin for pin US
equivalent, that'd be one thing. But a unique tube with a unique socket and
all those complicated voltages to re-design? No way. Not for me.

>I always thought that screen grid was added for
>additional stability and therefore tetrodes can be grid driven with light
>neutralisation if neccessary.

Actually the grounded grid amp has the same advantage. Tetrode's like the
Svetlana are a good stable design,  but large glass tubes like the 4-1000 are
terrible! The leads are just too long.

>That's the way we do it here with up to 4 (four) QB5/1750 and 100W drive
required.  >Svetlana also proposes such a design with
>4CX1600B or 2x4CX800's and it works for ETO 91B...

I have used the same system with tubes like the 4CX5000 and 10,000, but only
when many kilowatts are needed with low drive. If the power gain requirements
are moderate (perhaps under 50 times), grounded grid tubes are a much better
choice.

Why add complicated screen and bias systems with protection circuits, and
make the amp more sensitive to tuning,  just to save a few bucks in tube
cost? If I had a five watt exciter I'd used grid driven, but not with a 100
watts or more. If I was hell-bent on a low gain tetrode I'd at least use the
Collins 30S1 circuit, it offers far better performance than a resistor
swamped grid.

73 Tom

From: AA3JU George Cook <george at epix.net> (AA3JU George Cook)
Date: Fri, 05 Apr 1996 09:37:37 -0500
Subject: UPS (more)

At 03:03 PM 4/4/96 EST, you wrote:
>Several recent notes about UPS problems are mirrored in my most recent
>UPS experience.

>They seem to feel that offering you a refund on the blue label surcharge
>makes everything well again, but they weren't amused when I told them
>I would only accept payment in the same form that they demanded, cash in
>my hands.  Nothing more has been heard from them, although they did send
>a fax trumpeting that they had actually delivered the package (well after
>I had left Detroit).

I have said this before I am sure I will say it again SHIP FedEx!

I get shipped to me at least $40,000 worth of computer gear each week.  My
only gripe is when the guy is more than 5 minutes late!  I never get
dammaged goods and the stuff is there when they say it's going to be here.
And you can use credit card and check and cash.   And you can track the
packages via your own PC.  And if you call the customer service # you will
get someone on the phone right away.

Bottom line you get what you pay for.

George
AA3JU  george at epix.net    AA3JU at W3PYF
Proudly  F R C...........
"FRC When second best just isn't good enough!"

From: WF3T <steve.steltzer at paonline.com> (WF3T)
Date: Fri, 05 Apr 1996 14:35:07 -0400
Subject: RFI info?

Gentlemen,
        I've been recieving some kind of rather wideband interference on
several bands, most noticeable on 40, but I also hear it on 80, and just
barely on 20, and usually below .025 or so. Sometimes going above 025 is
like throwing a switch, it's completely gone. The peak, and width, and
therefore the band segment it covers, moves up and down at different times.
I can't say I see a pattern to that. I have been looking for causes here,
but the other night a particularly strong blast caused another local to
comment on the cluster, so now I suspect it's not something at my station,
unless that occurence was something entirely different. I've found a 720kc
AM BC stn near here whose 3rd harmonic is 40 over, and 5th is 20 over (with
the rig on AM). Am I getting mixing products, or is anybody else hearing
this garbage? If nobody else is hearing it, how do I go about tracking it
down? I don't pick it up on a portable SW rx with the built in extendable
antenna. It's not coming from my house, I tried turning off all the breakers
except the shack. When it's there, it's there with or without the computer
on. Did I mention that it comes and goes? Sometimes I don't have it at all.
Suggestions?

                                                                   Thanks,
                                                                   Steve

*\*  steve.steltzer at paonline.com (WF3T)  *\*
*\*        Harley Davidson Inc.          *\*

From: cooper at gmpvt.com (Tom Cooper) (Tom Cooper)
Date: Fri, 5 Apr 1996 09:42:58 -0500
Subject: Unique checksum (AA8U)

Bruce sent this to me directly, but it really should be part of the thread.

Tom WA1GUV

From: Eugene Walsh <0004504465 at mcimail.com> (Eugene Walsh)
Date: Fri, 5 Apr 96 09:55 EST
Subject: third etc.

__________________

"
     I have come to look at it this way...If the party doing the talking could be
replaced by a DVK, then that is essentially what they are.  I don't recall
complaints regarding the use of DVKs to make contacts with non-third party
agreement nations/territories.  When the DVK starts thinking and speaking on its
own that may pose a problem.  Makes sense to me.

--
73 de N1PBT...ron (rrossi at btv.ibm.com) <><
"

    K1AR's DVK told RQ to go get a haircut when we landed
    on its frequency.
    Now I understand.

    N2AA

From: John Brosnahan <broz at csn.net> (John Brosnahan)
Date: Fri, 5 Apr 1996 08:14:58 -0700
Subject: 4-1000 Info Please?

>I remember the article by W0SYK about the "Brown" Bomber that used two
>4-1000's in about 1970.  He was loud on 20 SSB mornings working long path
>DX.   As I recall with two 4-1000's you could do away with the bifilar choke.

>Dave K4JRB

Dave, one minor point on the old W0SYK designs (there were two:
The Bib Bomb  73 Magazine May 1965  and The Mini-Bomb
73 Magazine May 1969) which were popular in the St. Louis
area in the 60s and 70s.  Both designs DID use bifilar chokes in
the cathodes, which is required for the isolation of RF from the
filament transformer.  What was eliminated was the matching
network normally required to match the desired 50 ohm input
to the cathode, which is in the neighborhood of 105 ohms for
a single 4-1000.  By paralleling two tubes this was reduced to
approximately 52 ohms which made a nice match for the
exciter.  But there is a penalty for eliminating this matching
network.  The RF ground for the tubes is now returned through
the exciter, making cable length and tuning of the exciter an issue.
The results are an increase in IMD and, sometimes, in unstable
tuning.  It is a much better design to include a return path for
the cathode within the amplifier.  Doesn't take much of
a network, either L or pi will do and the Q can be as low as
2, so there should not be an issue of tuning the input.  Lower
IMD will result, making for happier neighbors on the crowded
bands during contests and it will be somewhat easier to drive
the amplifier.

----additional notes on grounded grid operation----

The 4-1000 is a good tube in grounded grid but just doesn't
have the gain of a tube designed for gg service.  But stability
can be an issue on the higher HF bands due to the normal
resonant frequency of the screen grid and its phase shift
that results in a tendency for  positive feedback near the
bottom end of the FM broadcast band.  This can be reduced
by adding a little inductance in the ground lead of the screen,
thereby reducing its frequency a bit and producing a phase
shift that tends to reduce the tendency for oscillation.

Just grounding both the grid and screen in the 4-400, 4-1000
series tubes resulted in the grid hogging the current and limiting
the tubes capabilities.   A technique to provide better division
of current between the grid and screen in grounded grid is to
tap the grid connection down on the filament choke.  This results
in some RF being applied to the grid as well as the cathode and
the tube will have a better balance between grid and screen
currents.  The penalty is that the tube takes about 30% more
drive for the same output.  Grounded grid operation of the 4-400
and 4-1000 was so popular that Eimac designed the 3-400 (later
the 3-500) and the 3-1000 (and now the 3CX1200)  specifically
for use in grounded grid.   These tubes are better suited for gg
operation, but it is hard to beat cheap, surplus 4-1000s for
performance and cost, even if a much higher plate voltage
is required to got reasonable gain from the 4-1000. Anything
less than 4-4.5 KV will provide poor gain and run the risk of
damage to the tube from excessive grid and screen currents.

73  John  W0UN

John Brosnahan
La Salle Research Corp      24115 WCR 40     La Salle, CO 80645  USA
voice 970-284-6602            fax 970-284-0979           email broz at csn.net

From: aa4lr at radio.org (Bill Coleman AA4LR) (Bill Coleman AA4LR)
Date: Fri, 5 Apr 1996 10:19:54 -0400
Subject: Proposed New Contest Exchange

>"Bruce (AA8U)" <aa8u at voyager.net> wrote:
>
>>I propose that for some contests, the present sent "signal report", be
>>replaced with something which is more meaningful, not just more QRM. I
>>suggest that we use the HEX sum of the ASCII codes of our call signs rather
>>than the current 59(9) signal report.
>
>Bruce
>
>1) I agree we need more meanigful exchanges for most contests.

This is a complex problem, though. If we change our existing contests to
more intricate exchanges, we have to throw the existing records out the
window. That's bad. I think Bruce's proposal has merit since it allows an
existing meaningless exchange to be replaced with something meaningful.

>2) The HEX idea is I fear in reality no better than than 59(9) because
>it can be "calculated" by an easy subroutine which would quickly be
>imbedded in most of the more popular contest logging programs. The
>software would no doubt calculate the HEX input for you and enter it in
>the log freeing the operator from having to worry about getting it right
>since the software would or could be self coreecting.

The difference here is that currently, copying 59(9) has no intrinsic
value. Since everyone sends 59, you can't tell if you are loud or weak, or
what conditions are like at the other end.

However, sending a check value -- even one that could be computed from
other exchange information -- has intrinsic value. Say you weren't sure you
got his call right, but you KNOW you copied the check correctly. Your
computer tells you that the check is correct. Voila, you don't have to call
for a lengthy repeat of a callsign, because you guessed right.

In another case, you thought you got everything right, but your computer
tells you you have a bad check, so you ask for the exchange again, and end
up correcting your mistake. (Hmm, so that wasn't N4BO after all, it was
NV6O)

>3) The exchange needs to be something that is unique for each operator,
>is totaly random in nature, changes from contest to contest. or even
>changes from band to band OR...even more diabilically is TOTALY random
>in nature and must be different for each QSO (he he he he a sick mind
>is a terrible thing to waste).

If you do this, be prepared to throw all the records out the window. You'll
have a completely different type of contest. Rates will plummet, errors
will go up, scores will go down.

This is why I like Bruce's suggestion. It doesn't really involve sending
much more information (two digits), and it convey's something meaningful to
each operator.

My only suggestion is that we change the values to something more easily
computable. Don't use ASCII Hex, just a simple formula people can calculate
without computers (not everyone has computers, you know).

Bill Coleman, AA4LR      Mail: aa4lr at radio.org
Quote: "Not in a thousand years will man ever fly!"
            -- Wilbur Wright, 1901

From: Jimmy R. Floyd" <floydjr at Interpath.com (Jimmy R. Floyd)
Date: Fri, 05 Apr 1996 11:15:38 -0400
Subject: CQ WPX Contest 96 Scores IV

CQ WPX CONTEST 96
RAW SCORES

Complied by
WA4ZXA
Email: floydjr at interpath.com

Date Posted: 04/05/96

CALL               HRS           SCORE      QSO'S      PTS     PREFIXES

QRP

KA1CZF                         135,000       215                 196
KV8S                            77,121       200       451       171
VE7CQK                          75,504       200       528       143

SO/HP/AB

S50A                         8,211,376      2950      8984       914
OT6T  (RA3AUU)               7,347,655      2800      8155       901
S58AB                        4,501,896      2070      5908       762
F6FGZ                        3,764,922      1794      5273       714
OH6KIT                       2,751,320      1882                 715
ZL6CC                        2,008,190      1380      4090       491
HB9HFN                         210,936       367       799       264

VD3EJ                        9,640,752      3151                 912
KQ2M  (@KY3N)                5,400,000      2202                 818
KC1XX  (AA1ND)               5,180,000      2301                 820
KM9P                         5,027,022      2402                 837
K3ZO                         4,974,315      2173      6257       795
VO1MP                        3,408,480      1682                 648
K5ZD                21       3,340,620      1592      4986       670
CG3CRC                       3,273,452      1683                 644
KW8N                         3,200,000      1736                 738
KI4HN  (@AA4NC)              3,000,000      1673                 732
K7RI  (AA7FT)                2,983,572      1824      4167       716
WZ4F                         2,928,101      1861                 737
VE7IN               30       2,324,080      1295      4180       556
KA4RRU                       2,331,146      1595      3359       694
K4VVD               26       1,779,657      1452      2981       597

SO/LP/AB

DL0IU  (DL2OBF)                949,160       981      1945       488
S50U                           172,200       377       700       246
XE2AC                            9,540        48       212        45

K1HTV               31       1,325,184       985      2436       544
WS1A                         1,046,657       782                 479
NY5B                           674,422       931      1438       469
WA4ZXA              36         671,841       669      1503       447
KJ6HO               18         483,912       679      1222       396
NZ5O                           477,500       655                 382
AE6Y                           341,376       675                 381
VD6EL                          167,686       278                 196
KS4XG               16         113,528       242       617       184
N3BDA               13          94,864       211                 154
VC3JFF                          34,866       140                 117
AL7PT/NK8                       20,374       140       167       122

SO/UNLIMITED

S59AA                        1,248,628      1023      2308       541
S56A                           572,544       620      1491       384

KF8UM                        1,548,976      1047                 572
K3SW/4              18         642,470       617                 410
K3IXD                          291,264       407                 296
WB4VIM                          86,846       206       502       173

SINGLE BAND

160M
AC4NJ               11          32,606       184       238       137

80M
VC3MG                          871,320       767                 318
VE2JTX                          84,480       227                 132

40M
ZY2HT  HP           15         801,000       470                 315
OI3MFP              22         100,036       254                 178

VD7NTT                       4,400,000      1660                 546
KK6XN  (@K6NA)               1,014,024       757      3036       334

W3GH                           775,390       765      2014       385
WM2V                20         286,896       452      1112       258
KW4T                           108,000       191                 164
WA5JWU              12           8,320        42       208        40

20M
OK1RI                        4,710,882      2297                 822
OI3NXW AS           19         750,000       972                 466
OH3NLP LP           18         152,904       347                 276

VE7NKI                       1,280,000      1110                 525
N4MO  LP                       637,000       638                 406
NI8L  HP             8         614,880       670      1464       420
N4YGY  LP                      572,390       611      1295       442

15M
S50D                           220,980       404       870       254
OI3LQK              15          32,725       157                 119
S59D  QRP                       26,319       108       283        93

N6MU  (@N6NB)                  266,760       554                 342
N4BP                21         156,123       409       627       249
WA7BNM  LP          19         134,096       479       493       272
W5ASP               15          98,800       303                 190
VE1RAA                          76,867       205                 139
KY2P/4                          48,000       209                 147

10M
ZW2WAL  QRP         21          66,232       225                 136

WB4HFL              20           6,580        65       188        35
K2YJL/M                            152         9                   8

MULTI/SINGLE

F6CTT                       10,085,306      3671                 946
GX0WPX                       4,434,324

VE6SV                        6,033,529      2708      7349       821
VC3SK                        5,970,685      2372      7417       805
KI1G  (@K1NG)                5,800,000      2316                 890
WE9V  (@KS9K)                5,401,076      2428      5858       922
CY2A  (@VE2ZP)               5,125,335      2124                 761
VD9WH                        4,322,880      2012                 711
VE3RM                        4,283,300      1901      5908       725
CH6FI                        3,886,212      2104      5988       649
KT8X                         3,881,241      2024                 819
NE8T  (@K8CC)                3,733,248      1932                 768
W5KFT                        3,661,928      2554      4612       794
K1KP                         3,175,000      1695                 735
WU7Q                         3,100,902      1766                 714
II2K                         2,823,156      1692      3954       714
KC7V                         2,629,989      1900      3699       711
KF9PL                        2,100,000      1510                 680
NC0P                         2,065,000      1456                 688
KQ4HC                        2,049,495      1400                 655
KZ6X                         2,040,108      1801      3192       652
K3MD                         1,843,776      1102      3168       582
VE6AO                        1,679,842      1330                 481
KI7WX                        1,536,842      1380                 614
K5XI                         1,500,000      1308                 609
WA3WJD                         660,744       656      1596       414
7J7ABC                         543,312       685                 343
AC5CT                          401,080
W8PZS                3             550        27        22        25

MULTI/MULTI

KP4XS                       19,611,728      6168                1084

WZ1R  (@KY1H)               11,200,000      3911                1062
WT1S  (@K1MNS)              10,680,000      3640                1033
WM2C  (@N6RO)                8,958,978      3861      9342       959
VD6JY                        7,919,121      3089      9219       859
VD5RI                        3,816,919      2411                 631
NE9U  (@W0AIH)               2,700,000      1850                 740

ROOKIE

OI6KZP  (OH6KZP)    27         526,162       772                 413

KG8PE               28         312,600       415                 300

TS

S59A                         4,597,645      2137      5441       845
OH3MMH              31         672,243       821                 429

KG6LF               23       1,002,600      1338      1671       600
N1CC                14         624,400       645      1561       400
WA6KUI              36         501,790       531                 361
KF9YH               16         190,575       308       825       231

BR

OP LIST

MULTI SINGLE
KI7WX      KI7WX,N5CT,K6XO @K6XO
WA3WJD     WA3WJD,AA3HA
7J7ABC     7J7ABC (AB7IT), 7J7ABV (NB9T)
KQ4HC      KO4EW,KQ4HC
AC5CT      AC5CT,N3BUO
NE8T       NE8T,N8CXX,N8BTU,AA8UG,AA8UH,K8CC
VE3RM      VE3WRL,VE3WIB,VE3RM
VC3SK      VA3SK,VA3WTO
CH6FI      VE6AQ,VE6LB,VE6PY,VE6NA
II2K       ISKHM,I2UPG,IK2ZJJ,IK2SGF,I2GXS
VE6SV      VE6SV,VE6WQ,VO1CV
WE9V       WE9V,KS9K,N0BSH,WX9E
KT8X       KT8X,AA8AV,K8MJZ,KF8QE,KF8DF,KG8CO,NU8Z,AA8FE,KB8ECG,AA8U
F6CTT      F6ARC,F5MZM,F6FVY,G0JFX
GX0WPX     G30ZF,G4DQW,G4JVG,G0SWG,S50K,5B4WN
KZ6X       KZ6X,N6KI,KM6SN,KF6BL,WB6NBU,N6UZH,KM6XA
WU7Q       W6REC
NC0P       NC0P,WA0ETC,WD0GVY,WA0FLS,WO0V

MULTI MULTI
WT1S       WT1S,NX1H,K1FWE
WZ1R       WZ1R,NE1V,KM1P,AA1AA,KE6BER,KY1H,NJ1F,WM1K,WR2I,WA1ZAM
VD5RI      VE5FD,VE5FF,VE5FN,VE5WI,VE6BBP,VE6BDP,VE6EZ,VE6SYM,VE7AV
NE9U       NE9U,N9ISN,W0AIH,K0TG,N0AXL
WM2C       WM2C,N6RO,K3EST,N4TQO,N6IP
VD6JY      VE6JY,VE6FR,VE6SLV,VE6EX,VE6LDX,VE6DGG,VE6LCB,VE6BF,VE6NWG,
           VE6JAG,VE5MX

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

THESE SCORES ARE NOT OFFICIAL!!!   I CANNOT ACCEPT ANY LOGS!!!!!
PLEASE SEND ALL YOUR LOGS TO THE ADDRESS IN CQ MAGAZINE!!

The address for the 3830 reflector is 3830 at akorn.net!! Maybe someone can
post on here how to subscibe to it. I am not sure and do not want to put
out any bad information.

Also as I stated in my post before the contest, I cannot do attached
files. You need to send it in the form of email. Also please state your
full class on it, not just Single OP. If you do you go into the unlimited
class.

Before everyone starts flaming me about where there scores are, I would
like to explain. I received a list off 3830 from WZ1R. It only gave me
classes for people as SO. I know some should be unlimited. If you would
just drop me a note I will be glad to move them.

73's Jim

           * Jimmy R. Floyd  (Jim)   Thomasville, NC                *
           *                                                        *
           * Amateur Call:              >> WA4ZXA <<                *
           * Packet Node:               >> N4ZC <<                  *
           * Internet Address: **NEW**  >> floydjr at interpath.com << *

From: Jimmy R. Floyd" <floydjr at Interpath.com (Jimmy R. Floyd)
Date: Fri, 05 Apr 1996 11:15:44 -0400
Subject: CQ WPX Contest 96 Breakdown II

CQ WPX 96 Contest
BREAKDOWN of SCORES

Compiled by
WA4ZXA
Email: floydjr at interpath.com

Posting Date: 04/02/96

CALL       160      80      40       20        15      10     SCORES

QRP
KV8S       5/ 5    9/  8    9/  8  126/113   48/ 36   3/ 1     77,121
VE7CQK     O/ O   28/ 18   26/ 16  125/ 94   21/ 15   0/ 0     75,504

SO/HP/AB
OT6T     107/62  481/240  379/ 86 1716/446  117/ 67   0/ 0  7,347,655
F6FGZ    107/64  248/134  751/241  644/242   44/ 33   0/ 0  3,764,922
ZL6CC      0/ 0    6/  2   39/ 17  308/177 1027/295   0/ 0  2,008,190

KQ2M       0/ 0  484/283  134/ 33 1497/452   87/ 50   0/ 0  5,400,000
KM9P       0/ 0  305/129  212/ 84 1714/552  114/ 53  57/19  5,027,022
K3ZO       0/ 0  402/207  219/ 42 1476/511   53/ 28  23/ 7  4,974,315
K5ZD      42/32  203/112  125/ 59 1135/423   69/ 40  18/ 2  3,340,620
K7RI       0/ 0  139/ 50  220/ 71 1350/560  114/ 34   1/ 1  2,983,572
WZ4F       0/ 0  147/ 79   73/ 34 1567/596   52/ 18  22/10  2,928,101
VE7IN      0/ 0   60/ 11  379/171  825/349   31/ 25   0/ 0  2,324,080
K4VVD     10/ 7   89/ 47   86/ 65 1228/454   34/ 22   5/ 2  1,779,657

SO/LP/AB
DL0IU     50/28  255/159  246/ 71  354/185   76/45    0/ 0    949,160

K1HTV     59/42   53/ 46   71/ 33  650/371  123/ 55  29/ 7  1,319,744
WS1A      28/20   74/ 45  109/ 56  502/310   67/ 37   2/ 1  1,045,657
NY5B       0/ 0   64/ 38   69/ 41  689/340    0/  0  18/ 3    674,422
WA4ZXA     7/ 5  141/ 92   63/ 40  342/250   71/ 43  45/17    671,841
KJ6HO      2/ 1   46/ 24   47/ 27  447/286  113/ 52  24/ 6    483,912
KS4XG      0/ 0   10/  8   26/ 13  153/126   53/ 37   0/ 0    113,528
N3BDA      1/ 1   10/ 10   29/ 17  104/ 81   38/ 29  29/15     94,864

SO/HP/A
OT6T     107/62  481/240  379/ 86 1716/446  117/ 67   0/ 0  7,347,655

WB4VIM     0/ 0    0/  0    1/  0  168/147   21/ 15  16/11     86,846

M/S
F6CTT     59/ 8  438/155  866/291 2192/453  116/ 39   0/ 0 10,085,306

VE6SV     44/12  243/ 47  323/112 2050/629   48/ 21   0/ 0  6,033,529
VC3SK     36/ 7  345/129  421/202 1526/449   44/ 18   0/ 0  5,970,685
KI1G      13/ 7  390/205  293/ 97 1402/498  132/ 66  37/ 8  5,866,665
WE9V       7/ 2  535/183  187/ 76 1599/633  100/ 28   0/ 0  5,401,076
CH6FI     11/ 2  187/ 48  494/138 1364/445   48/ 16   0/ 0  3,886,212
KT8X       8/ 2  489/169  158/ 69 1250/545   99/ 29  20/ 4  3,881,241
W5KFT      0/ 0   98/ 36  419/115 1830/576  155/ 53  47/14  3,661,928
KC7V       0/ 0   43/ 25  248/ 56 1448/573  109/ 44  52/13  2,629,989
NC0P      16/ 8  235/102  143/ 92  985/437   77/ 29   0/ 0  2,065,000
KQ4HC      2/ 2  283/152  160/ 74  813/366  106/ 50  36/11  2,049,495
WA3WJD    57/38   93/ 66   49/ 26  375/244   52/ 31  30/ 9    660,744

M/M
KP4XS    125/31  541/101 1039/225 2644/464 1638/215 181/48 19,611,728

WM2C       4/ 0  663/101  603/ 88 1694/565  789/187 108/18  8,958,978
VD6JY     95/ 7  400/ 77  751/218 1764/519  139/ 38   0/ 0  7,919,121
VD5RI     50/13  169/ 36  372/119 1790/451   30/ 12   0/ 0  3,816,919

ROOKIE
OI6KZP     1/ 1  103/ 78   71/ 34  560/276   37/ 24   0/ 0    526,162

TS
S59A       0/ 0  385/239  352/103 1183/402  216/101   0/ 0  4,597,645

KG6LF      0/ 0   49/ 20   11/  7  976/483  257/ 80  45/10  1,002,600
N1CC       0/ 0    0/  0   24/  8  563/353   58/ 39   0/ 0    624,400
WA6KUI     3/ 3   51/ 37   70/ 39  308/242   77/ 32  22/ 8    501,790
KF9YH      1/ 1   38/ 29   44/ 30  200/160   25/ 11   0/ 0    190,575

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

73 Jim

From: John Nicholson <k7fd at teleport.com> (John Nicholson)
Date: Fri, 5 Apr 1996 08:51:15 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Electric Fence Nixes WPX: Update!

Thanks to all who offered opinions and advice! I wanted to e-publish
a quick update to those who are curious about the outcome...

I had no luck getting permission to walk the property and find
the problem with the fence. The neighbor, although willing to
listen to my woes, was not willing to have me on his property. Why
this is so is up to anyone's hunch. I have a few of them I won't
go into...

So, I ended up writing a letter to the county Emergency Services
department with a cc: to the power company, ARRL, and the neighbor.
Basically I informed Emergency Services 'about the progress in
solving the interference' and that the 'neighbor had genuine
concern about the noise'...and that I would soon be back in full
service to the county in an emergency capacity.

I sent the letter(s) off Monday. Bingo! As of Tuesday afternoon, no
more interference from the electric fence. Apparently the neighbor
was getting a little more publicity than he wanted. :)

I have my fingers crossed that the interference won't return. It
could be the neighbor just turned it off, which is fine by me.

Thanks again,

John
K7FD

From: Del Seay <seay at alaska.net> (Del Seay)
Date: Fri, 05 Apr 1996 17:09:27 -0800

John Nicholson wrote:

> Thanks to all who offered opinions and advice! I wanted to e-publish
> a quick update to those who are curious about the outcome...
>
> I had no luck getting permission to walk the property and find
> the problem with the fence. The neighbor, although willing to
> listen to my woes, was not willing to have me on his property. Why
> this is so is up to anyone's hunch. I have a few of them I won't
> go into...
>
> So, I ended up writing a letter to the county Emergency Services
> department with a cc: to the power company, ARRL, and the neighbor.
> Basically I informed Emergency Services 'about the progress in
> solving the interference' and that the 'neighbor had genuine
> concern about the noise'...and that I would soon be back in full
> service to the county in an emergency capacity.
>
> I sent the letter(s) off Monday. Bingo! As of Tuesday afternoon, no
> more interference from the electric fence. Apparently the neighbor
> was getting a little more publicity than he wanted. :)
>
> I have my fingers crossed that the interference won't return. It
> could be the neighbor just turned it off, which is fine by me.
>
> Thanks again,
>
> John
> K7FD

Wonderful approach, John. Either you're a damned smart man, or
could be a hellova politician! Or Both! Congratulations on de-fusing
a nasty situation.  de KL7HF

From: Spike Lazar <slazar19 at sgi.net> (Spike Lazar)
Date: Fri, 5 Apr 1996 12:15:28 -0500 (EST)
Subject: Announcing HamVention Contest

                 Announcement: ROTC, 2 meter Checksum Sprint

Date: May 18, 1996
Time: 1600Z through 2000z
Location: Riverfront Stadium (near Dayton HamVention)
Suggested Freq: 146-148 mhz
Class: two person teams, (one op. must be 3rd party) pwr limit 2 watts

Contest exchange will be seat numbers & 32 bit polnomial checksum
Scoring: Mults (seat numbers + checksums) times Q's
Special qsy rule: After every three Q's, team must qsy to new seats
Entry Fee: $10 per person, YL's no fee

Prizes: Winning team $100,000
        Top 25 stations $5,000
        All participants will receive a fruitcake baked by ON4UN

        DQ's: Any YL suspected of hiding illegal amps, will be strip searched!

        Info: For your pseudo checksum # contact AA8U.

        For an explanation of what a checksun is contact AA4LR.

        Entry fee's mail to W7NI.

        If you wish to be on the strip search committee please mail
        a $50 certified check to KN5H.

       Special Added Attractions: N2RM, KZ2S, N2NT, N2AA, K5ZD, AA9AX,
                                  VE3EJ, K3LR, & WX9E will be personally
                                  available to autograph 8 X 10 glossy
                                  photographs.

      If this contest is sucessful it will be held analually!

Sincerely yours,
dr. Bafoofnik ****  (When second best is FB with me)

*Not in 1000 years will this contest ever fly (Billy Lunt)

From: Bruce (AA8U)" <aa8u at voyager.net (Bruce (AA8U))
Date: Fri, 5 Apr 1996 12:46:01 -0500 (EST)

At 08:51 AM 4/5/96 -0800, you wrote:
>Thanks to all who offered opinions and advice! I wanted to e-publish
>a quick update to those who are curious about the outcome...
>
>I had no luck getting permission to walk the property and find
>the problem with the fence. The neighbor, although willing to
>listen to my woes, was not willing to have me on his property. Why
>this is so is up to anyone's hunch. I have a few of them I won't
>go into...
>
>So, I ended up writing a letter to the county Emergency Services
>department with a cc: to the power company, ARRL, and the neighbor.
>Basically I informed Emergency Services 'about the progress in
>solving the interference' and that the 'neighbor had genuine
>concern about the noise'...and that I would soon be back in full
>service to the county in an emergency capacity.
>
>I sent the letter(s) off Monday. Bingo! As of Tuesday afternoon, no
>more interference from the electric fence. Apparently the neighbor
>was getting a little more publicity than he wanted. :)
>
>I have my fingers crossed that the interference won't return. It
>could be the neighbor just turned it off, which is fine by me.
>
>Thanks again,
>

>John
>K7FD

Hi John,
I work for the local power company. One of my many "hats" gets me involved
in training line crews and technicians how to locate and resolve power line
interference. You are not alone with this type of problem as you likely
found out by return email. I watched some of the replies, some humorous,
some not so. I was too busy to give you advice at the time.

I too had an electric fence problem with a neighbor that was really a
problem on 80 and 160. Fortunately he is far enough away that I have never
caused any tvi or other problems. We don't share a property line...this
always complicates things.

While scoping out the source from the road with my sniffing equipment (Radar
Engineers, good stuff!) I found his fence was broken and the ends were
laying on the ground. I approached him about the noise problem and told him
that his prize horses were likely to get out and mix with traffic if it
didn't get repaired. I also pointed out how this break was causing rfi for
me and likely others. He mentioned that he was seeing pulsing interference
on his tv. What luck! I offered to repair the fence for him, but he said he
would look into it. That evening, the noise went away. Just in time for WPX.

I also had to get a line crew to go to an adjacent residence and replace an
insulator on the cross arm which was also being a real pain. Where I live,
the ambient noise level is quite low...usually. I try to keep on top of
noise sources here and have been successful to date.

Others are not quite as well equipped as I am. For them I suggest they
contact their local power company and seek out the department (rfi swat
team) that does this type of troubleshooting and repair. Hey, you pay for
that service in your bill every month, might as well get your money's worth!

I think your letter writing was a very good approach given the state of
relations with your good neighbor. My guess is there is something on his
property that he would rather the authorities not see......were it late
summer I would suspect something growing there. There are all kinds of
possibilities. HI

Good for you at any rate!

73,
Ugly