Contesting and the Internet?

frenaye at pcnet.com frenaye at pcnet.com
Fri Apr 19 23:36:52 EDT 1996

I've had some e-mail exhanges with Billy Lunt, KR1R, (kr1r at arrl.org) at the
ARRL Contest desk, with JP Kleinhaus, AA2DU, (aa2du at netcom.com) chairman of
the ARRL Contest Advisory Committee(cac at arrl.org), and Bob Cox, K3EST,
(k3est at netcom.com) of the CQWW Contest Committee, trying to understand what
the current rules are for contesting and the Internet.  It wasn't as I
expected (surprise).

Both CQWW and ARRL have no problem with a PacketCluster network being
connected to the Internet as part of the normal interconnectivity of
electronic worlds.

CQ's policy goes on to say that you can't spot yourself (no self promotion),
and that you can't be directly linked to the Internet.  That means you can't
have your own PC connected to the Internet to access someone else's packet
node(one of the many available these days).  Under ARRL rules direct links to
the Internet are permitted.

Whether a direct connection is something that gives anyone a real advantage
is another question.  I didn't ask but assume that an Internet connection to
a "live" receiver isn't permitted under either set of rules.

I bring these up because the written contest rules from both CQWW and ARRL
were not clear to me, and I think there is room for more discussion about how
this evolving technology fits into contesting.  I'd prefer to have the rules
for both CQWW and ARRL the same, at least for how the Internet is handled.
(Besides all that, sometimes I think our competition is one step ahead of
us.)

What do you think?  (send comments to the ARRL and CQ also)

73  Tom
President
Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Note: I don't know how the rules are interpreted for CQ WPX but they are not
necessarily the same as CQWW.

E-mail: frenaye at pcnet.com
Tom Frenaye, K1KI, P O Box 386, West Suffield CT 06093 Phone: 860-668-5444