40 meter phased array

W8JITom at aol.com W8JITom at aol.com
Thu Aug 8 14:50:52 EDT 1996

>     Am planning to build a 2-element wire phased array
>     for 40 meters. (It used 1/8-wave spacing, for my 'small'
>     lot.) This would have raised radials. My question is,
>     has anyone tried building a 2-element antenna
>     like this using the "Christman" feed method?

The closest system to the one you described I am aware of actually being
measured was at AM radio station in New Jersey. It has a four tower array
with closer spaced endfire (~1/4 wl) and broadside (~1/2 wl) spacing. When ~
100 ground mounted radials were installed in the system, FS dramatically
improved. FS improvement was quite noticable with the addition of only 30
radials on each tower.

The original system employed six elevated radials at each tower.

Here at my house, a 1/4 wl vertical demonstrated ~5 dB improvement when sixty
radials were substituted for four elevated radials. It made no difference if
the 60 radials were elevated or contacting the soil. Radial height made a big
difference when only four radials were used.

You'll find conflicting data or opinions on this subject since data from
proper single location tests is very scarce. Most of the data circulating,
while sounding impressive, is through long paper trails using FCC FS
estimatation charts.

My suggestion would be to try the small system, and take a FS reading some
distance away in the main lobe. If adding extra radials helps, you might
continue to add them until improvement falls off. Please let me know your
results if you measure (even crudely) FS changes with the number of radials.

73 Tom