log checker unionization?

WJ2O at aol.com WJ2O at aol.com
Tue Dec 24 02:37:31 EST 1996

> On 22 Dec 1996, a fellow contester wrote:
>
>  "You CQ volunteers should get paid! After all, CQ is a for-profit
>  enterprise, and makes money from readership interested in the
>  contest results.
>
>  Just curious, has CQ ever been approached by you guys for a stipend
>  for your hard work? Maybe you need to unionize :.)"

I have to agree that the CQ volunteers work hard, do a find job, and deserve
all the credit they can get.

However, being that I've been a self employed individual since I was a spry
lad I have to remind others that being in business dosen't mean you spend all
your time sitting back and counting your profits.  Not only is the magazine
business very competitive but the ham radio market as a whole is in decline.

The only thing you get as a "for-profit" business in New York State is the
privledge of paying outrageous property taxes and 7% or higher sales taxes
that I don't believe our friends at the league are accustomed too.  Also, in
our lovely state you have to pay the AMT, which stands for Alternative
Minimum Tax.  In a nutshell it means that even if you don't make a profit you
still have to pay income taxes!

I don't work for CQ, I'm not against the league (I'm a life member) and I
don't want a bunch of you guys writing me and telling me to leave NY then.
 The point I'm trying to make is that I know of no individual who has "made
it big" by selling to hams.  I do know quite a few who have gone bust though.
 Give ham radio vendors a break.  Where would the hobby be without them?

Case in point:  Once the buyers of ETO found out what selling amplifiers to
us hams was all about they dropped that division like a hot potato!

I gotta ask:  How much would it cost to get a QSL if all the bureau's
unionized?  How much would you be willing to pay for a subscription of CQ if
all the log checkers unionized?  What if it got turned around and you had to
pay say a penny for every QSO you mail in for log checking union expenses.
 Would you mind writing a check with your entries?

How's that for flame bait?  Did I take the previous message too seriously?

Happy Holidays all and see you in the next test,
73, Dave, WJ2O

(catch me in VP5 for ARRL CW)