Roger D. Johnson
n1rj at ime.net
Tue Dec 31 00:51:19 EST 1996
Does anyone know where I can get a list of programmable functions
not in the Kenwood manual?
>From morel.grunberg at telrad.co.il (Morel Grunberg) Tue Dec 31 08:10:49 1996
From: morel.grunberg at telrad.co.il (Morel Grunberg) (Morel Grunberg)
Date: Tue, 31 Dec 1996 10:10:49 +0200
Subject: MFJ-989 antenna tuner comments review
Message-ID: <c=US%a=_%p=TELRAD%l=MISMAIL-961231081049Z-31 at mismail.MIS.ELEX.CO.IL>
One week ago I posted a request asking for opinions on MFJ-989
antenna tuner. Until now I received 116 answers as follows:
* 92 of the answers were totally unfavorable
* 11 of the answers were quite neutral
* 9 answers compared the MFJ-989 with other similar tuners ,
8 of them clearly preffering the others brands.
* 4 answers were positive with no specific reasons.
The most frequent reasons for lack of satisfaction were:
* roller inductor quality ( 49 reporting melted elements )
* roller inductors turning mechanism failures ( 18 reports )
* roller inductor tuning bad feeling ( 15 reports )
* poor roller turns counter ( 21 reports )
* poor cabinet mechanics, assembly, finish and paint
( 21 reports )
* lack of enough coax positions on antenna switch
( 12 reports )
* bad performance on certain types of antennas ( whips, long
wires and zeppelins ) - 19 reports ; in 12 cases the tuner was
set-up on fire.
* poor operation manual ( 9 reports )
* poor design ( small cabinet size affecting the inductor Q ) -
* poor performance on 160m short antennas ( !! ) - 4 reports
The most frequent reported reasons for buying the MFJ-989
* low price ( 7 reports )
* high number of features vs. low price( 7 reports )
* relatively small size ( 5 reports )
* built-in dummy load ( 4 reports )
The other reports reffered to: Vectronics 1500, Nye Viking,
Ameritron 1500, Heathkit SA-2500, B&W, J.W.Millen and
Nevada. The most favorable opinions were on NYE-Viking
( 10 reports ).
I would like to thank to all who find time to answer .
Happy New Year,
>From ToddD at dci.state.sd.us (Dravland, Todd) Tue Dec 31 15:40:00 1996
From: ToddD at dci.state.sd.us (Dravland, Todd) (Dravland, Todd)
Date: Tue, 31 Dec 96 07:40:00 PST
Subject: Thanks for information RAC and Stu Perry
Message-ID: <32C93549 at sdmailgw.state.sd.us>
Thanks to the following for help and information regarding the RAC and Stu
This is a great place to get information when you need it!! What I ended up
doing was logging into the NA and TR BBS and downloading the latest versions
of each and I used NA 10.x for the Stu Perry contest and TR 5.x for the RAC
contest. Operated a little bit of each and had a GREAT time. Thanks again
for all the help. 73 and HAPPY NEW YEAR!!
WD0T at juno.com (new address)
More information about the CQ-Contest