Thanks for the contesting topics

K7LXC at aol.com K7LXC at aol.com
Wed Nov 20 09:45:27 EST 1996

Hello, all radiosports --

    I just wanted to say that I'm enjoying the contesting topics on the
reflector since this weekend's SS and the enjoyable lack of vanity callsign
traffic.

     THANKS!

73,  Steve  K7LXC

From: aa4lr at radio.org (Bill Coleman AA4LR) (Bill Coleman AA4LR)
Date: Wed, 20 Nov 96 10:15:46 -0400
Subject: K5NZ Done!

>From:        Dale Jones K5MM, ddjones at nas.com
>
>Well here it is 0500z Sat night of SS and I've had it again!  Worked N5JA (ex
>AA5BL) at 0450 and he had 909 Q's!  I looked at my 577 and it was just too
>much again!

Perhaps he started with a serial number larger than 1?

>  I know don't give up but this is just too much, I just don't
>understand how someone can make that many more Q's in 8 hours! Thats 41 more
>an hour than me and I was really working my ass off! And we are only 60 miles
>apart so prop. can't have a play in it.

Are your antenna setups and equipment the same? Did you work on the same
bands? Did he know something about where to be in a band? Was he working
2 radios and you only one?

All I know is that working SS with Low Power is real WORK unless
conditions are really great (which they weren't) or you have a truely
MASSIVE superstation (ie stacked monobanders for every band -- starting
with 80m...). 98% of my SS this year was S & P only, which is a lot
harder when you can't get through the first time or so.

I had to quit SS early because of a local RFI problem with a neighbor --
very discouraging. Nonetheless, I learned a bit more about radio that
will serve me well in the next contest.

BTW, KD3GC, who has finished 2nd to me in the Georga, Low Power SSB SS at
least four times apparently whipped my butt this year. Makes me wonder
what would have happened if I had a beam and had raised my 80m antenna.
Next year.

Bill Coleman, AA4LR           Mail: aa4lr at radio.org
Quote: "Not in a thousand years will man ever fly!"
            -- Wilbur Wright, 1901