VHF Contest categories. Please HELP!

ramirezk at emi.com ramirezk at emi.com
Sun Jan 5 09:38:23 EST 1997

     Last June the Grid Pirates VHF Group created and sponsored
a series of plaques for 2 new categories for the June VHF
contest. The results showed that the new categories were a great
success! These 2 categories were:1- Limited Single Operator 2-2
Man Team Multiop.
   The limited Single OP was for single operators that had 4
bands or less. It was intended to stir up more activity in low
population areas where having microwave equipment was not cost
effective, for single ops heading to mountaintops where ease of
assembly was required,etc. Now the single ops with a single 4
band type rig(FT736r,etc) had incentive to stay active for the
entire contest and compete for an award. One of the positive
results of this category was that some single ops that already
had 6,2,and 432 had incentive to get on 222 for the 4th band. I
know of a few instances where this was actually done.
   The 2 Man Team Multiop category was created to foster team
competition in areas where population was limited and where it
was difficult to find enough operators to assemble a full blown
multiop team. This category allows the 2 bread and butter VHF
bands, 6 and 2 meters, to be active full time throughout the
contest thus increasing activity. There were dozens of 2 man
teams that qualified for competing for this new award last June.
The results of last June's contest showed that the intent was
met! Winners of plaques were from varied parts of the U.S. and
not just the usual NorthEast.The 2 Man Team entrant is limited
to 2 operators which must be the same two ops for the entire
contest and are allowed to use any and all VHF/UHF bands.
   The Grid Pirates asked for sponsors for plaques and were able
to muster up sponsors for the top 5 places for each category.
      I have been asked by numerous VHF contesters about the
possibility of having these same categories for the September
and January contests. I cannot do this. Family and work
obligations keep me from doing so. I am still having a difficult
time collecting the promised sponsor money from 3 of the
sponsors from June's contest.(anyone interested??) I believe
that it is TIME to ask the CAC or ARRL or Billy Lunt,etc. about
the possibility of adding these two categories to the 3 Major
ARRL sponsored VHF contests. Plaques for June and certificates
for September and January in following with the present awards
format. They will only consider this if YOU LET THEM KNOW your
thoughts on this matter. Please help by letting your CAC rep.
know, either by letter,E mail, phone call, etc., that you think
the addition of these 2 categories will GREATLY benefit the
VHF/UHF activity in these contests and make them even more fun
than they already are. I know it is extra work for them but
these categories will greatly enhance the VHF contests. Thanks
in advance for your help.
 73 Ken N4UK
1.8-1296 MHZ
Cabo Rojo Contest Club-WP4NMS