[CQ-Contest] Some Contest-Rule Topics

John Brosnahan broz at csn.net
Thu Jul 17 12:28:04 EDT 1997

(Sorry about the formatting on my original post to the
reflector on this subject--I guess the reflector adds its
own formatting if the lines are too long.  Made it a little
less presentable but the ideas were there.  Here is
another comment with what is hoped will be better
formatting.)

Dick,

>1) Should QRP and/or low-power category entrants call
>stations using high-power, and ask them to listen for
>their QRP/low-power signal?

Let me restate my position with an analogy.  Archers
find true sport in hunting with a bow and arrow.  Granted,
it is a lot more difficult than hunting with a rifle--just not
the same range.  Quite analogous with the lack of "range"
while running QRP.  So to make it "easier" let's allow
bow and arrow hunters to shoot a deer with their 30-30
and then walk up to the dead animal and shoot it again with
a bow and arrow.  Maybe it IS easier but where has the
challenge, the sport, the fun gone?

>3) Should single-band category entrants move contacts
>and/or multipliersto their band from other bands?

I think a good case can also be made for a similar
analogy for moving stations from other bands for a
station that has decided to be a "SINGLE-BAND"
entry.  A certain season, under the rules, is set aside
for deer hunting.  But since I didn't get my deer (multiplier)
during the regular season (band) that is allowed, I think
I will go and hunt at some other time of the year (on another
band) just because I didn't get what I wanted.  Not really
very fair to those who choose to play by the rules.

John W0UN

 -
 ---
Administrative requests:  cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com