[CQ-Contest] LOGGING cut #'s

George T. Daughters gdaught6 at leland.Stanford.EDU
Fri May 30 10:07:36 EDT 1997

hi all,

ok now i'm all confused again.  (still?)

uncle sam taught me to log (record, write down, type)
WHAT WAS RECEIVED!  (in the best case,
that translates to exactly WHAT WAS SENT.)

now if the guy sends me "ANTA" and he thinks that's a serial number,
and i don't, i ask for a repeat. if he sends "ANTA" again, then
that's what i put in the log! if he sends me "SPQR" that's what i put
in the log.  what is most common of course, is that i hear "NT4" or
similar.  sure, i know that's 904, but i log what i hear.

some second looie or master sarge has to know what that number is.  i
always took some pride in recording solid accurate copy!

my question, i guess, is "are we supposed to edit what we receive,
thinking we know what the other guy meant?"  where does this stop?
do we change (edit)  callsigns? (maybe we really heard by4a, not
6y4a... it would be a new mult... yeah, it was by4a)

just wondering what the world thinks about this.  after all, i'm not
doing this for uncle sam any more!

73,
George T. Daughters, K6GT

Administrative requests:  cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com