N4KG: Re: [CQ-Contest] 40 meter operating practices

T A RUSSELL n4kg at juno.com
Mon Nov 10 06:48:22 EST 1997

A (relatively) WIDE  SSB  signal trashes a narrow CW filter MUCH  WORSE
than a narrow CW signal disturbs reception in a wide SSB filter.  Bottom
line:
SSB operation in the CW band destroys CW.  Just listen to the SSB
Latino's
operating on the bottom edge of 40M  CW every morning!  (A notch filter
effectively removes an interfering CW signal.  Removing the interfering
SSB  OPERATOR is the only solution for SSB interference.  :-)

de  Tom  N4KG

On Mon, 03 Nov 1997 15:10:40 +0000 Mike <no6x at inreach.com> writes:

>>And write off CW contesting on 40!  Seriously, any part of this
>spectrum we open to U.S. SSB will promptly become chock full of
>regular activity.  Activity that won't go away just because CW SS or
>CW WW are in progress.
>>(and incidentially, activity that'll push the data mode signals even
>lower in the band)  Any part of this range we open to SSB operation
>is lost  to CW.
>
>Last I checked it is legal to operate cw in the phone bands, and if
>you can not "dial out" a phone signal while on cw, its time for a new
rig!

>Mike...NO6X

 -
 ---