[CQ-Contest] SIGNING CALLS

Bill Fisher, W4AN w4an at contesting.com
Sat Jul 25 11:40:06 EDT 1998

At 09:38 AM 7/25/98 -0400, Bill Feidt wrote:

>As a perennial third tier S&Per, I have to second this sentiment.
>If only the call sign is sent for acknowledgement, I have no way
>to distinguish between:
>
> 1. "Yes, I QSL your information -- you're  in the log"
>
>                   and
>
> 2. "You're too weak to copy right now and I'm going on with
>     my CQing -- you're not in the log"

As someone who would be sending only the callsign if the rate dictated
doing so...

1.  If a guy sends only his callsign before you started calling, then you
know for sure if he only sends his callsign to you, then you are in the log.

2.  If the guy comes back with ANYTHING else...  you probably aren't (yet).

Sending a callsign for QSL and QRZ is efficient and effective.  Anything
more is redundant pacifying of stations who probably sent their callsign 3
times in the first place.

JMO - Just my opinion.

Bill, W4AN

Bill Fisher, W4AN (EX KM9P)