[CQ-Contest] Re: Contesting, exchanges/frequency

i4jmy at migate.ampr.org i4jmy at migate.ampr.org
Thu Mar 12 10:11:00 EST 1998

   After reading a message I sent to cq-contest reflector, to point
   out that often people over uses to "QRZ" without any patience to
   copy a call-sign, someone pointed out that packetcluster spotting
   might be wrong and it's better to copy by ourselves than trusting.
   I want to precisate, before a number of comments rises, that this
   is also and exactly my opinion.

1) I wrote, infact, "can solve", and not it definitely solves.
   The next time I will use the phrase "might be of any help in solving"
   so there won't be doubt about the interpretation of my view point.

2) I thought that reading the whole message this was evident.
   I meant the opportunity to listen or using the packetcluster (if
   assisted or out the contest) instead of shouting QRZ immediately,
   not to log a call without a real and straight copy.

3) I know often packetcluster spotting is wrong and I find it sad but
   humoristic in the same while.
   During last WWDX SSB, I heard a number of stations working a loud
   EA8 as he was a JT, and so tanking him very much for the zone 23 on
   80 meters.
   I didn't have any PCL, who "had" zone 23 at the time in the log and
   trusted without checking probably yes. (the EA8 was qrz properly and
   givin' 59/33, by the way)

4) If you log wrongly, shouldn't you risk penalty or disqualification ?
   It's your choice not to veryfy and possibly suffering consequences,
   or we have to suppose the majority of contests doesn't have any
   check and some garbage (or ....) log is the same than a clean one ?

5) Since an "assisted" category has been added just to confirm a wide
   use of packetcluster, what the hell who enters assisted should use
   packetcluster for ?

73,
Mauri I4JMY

e-mail i4jmy at migate.ampr.org