[CQ-Contest] Matching Speeds is Good -- Constant speeds is good -- Good keying is good

Bob Patten n4bp at bc.seflin.org
Wed Jun 2 18:33:28 EDT 1999

On Wed, 2 Jun 1999, Bill Coleman AA4LR wrote:

> Another peeve are those folks who send the exchange at varying speeds.
> Sending 5NN at +20 wpm may seem like it is saving time, but it threw me
> off quite a few times, causing repeats. Frankly, varying speeds is
I can comfortably copy 35+ WPM in a contest, but that varying speed
throws me too!  I suppose I should just log 599 when it's sent at 100WPM
whether I copy it or not, but it bugs me.

> Oh, and exactly how many dits are in a 5? Is di-da-da-da-da-dah a zero or
> a one? I was amazed at how poorly numbers were sent by a very few ops. It
> was funny when they would send exactly the same thing on the repeat!

Another pet peeve of mine.  I encountered quite a few ops who were dit or
dah happy, but consistant.  I just gave up on a few of them and scratched
the QSO.  I'd rather not have it in the log than to try and guess what
they think they are sending.

	   73,
				   ,'' '',
     Bob Patten, N4BP              ( 0 0 )               Plantation, FL

                         E-Mail: n4bp at bc.seflin.org
              Web Page: http://wg104a.wh.uni-stuttgart.de/~n4bp
                     Brass Pounder BBS: (954) 472-7715

Administrative requests:  cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com