Fw: [CQ-Contest] Hear and be heard

Chris Hurlbut kl7fh at customcpu.com
Fri Mar 12 18:27:41 EST 1999

>Decent operator can work them at about 8 stations a minute on
> SSB or CW, if gets cooperation.

Cooperation.... I think this is the key word here... If a DX station asks
for a station, do NOT send your call in there randomly! It only slows
things down.  Even if the DX heard wrong, and no one answers, it's better
than 4 or 5 others giving their call when the DX thinks he has heard
someone he wants to work.  One thing I have noticed is that *A LOT* of the
"Big Guns"  will keep calling regardless.  Probably because they know they
are loud, and will be heard.  Sometimes I will ask for only Central and
South America when running stateside.  Probably 90% of the time I get
answers, and most likely a mult doing that.  That is when a lot of the "Big
Guns" will call in from the states.  That just wastes everyones time!
Everyone keeps talking about how the JA's are very courteous and how
patient they are in pile ups... they are!  I love running JA's!  Many
contesters might want to take a few lessons from them....
I don't mean to make anyone mad, I am just reporting what I have observed.
-Chris WL7KY

Administrative requests:  cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com