[CQ-Contest] Packet Pileups -> Breaking Pileups

kg0us at swbell.net kg0us at swbell.net
Mon Dec 4 19:05:11 EST 2000

Hello Fellow Contesters,

I am sure that some people can make the ZOO analogy listed below to describe
operators using amplifiers, towers, and yagi antennas.  After all, using all these
devices to hunt DX is like hunting deer with a nuclear missile.  Not very sporting
is it!

God forbid that anyone would use any computer assistance during a contest to do
any keying, dupe checking or partial call checks.  This would be unfair because
you are indirectly receiving help by a computer programmer and Bill Gates.

For that matter no keyers, only straight keys are to be allowed.  Keyers are
unfair to those guys that work very hard to send code by hand with a straight
key.  And computer keying, that is for sissies.

>From now on, no commercial radios, amplifiers, or antennas.  These devices are
very unfair to the home brewer because you are receiving indirect help from
engineers and manufacturers who designed  and built your equipment.

I guess that guy with the paper log, battery powered QRP rig, and wire antenna is
the best DXer and contester around.  Anything else is inferior.

This is all a bunch of BS and all for a plaque on the wall.  It is no wonder that
amateur radio is heading for extinction with all this bickering.  If someone wants
to use packet spots to hunt DX who cares as long as they report it.

Could it be that the big guns are mad because they are accustomed to being able to
walk into a pileup and walk over nearly everyone else to make a DX contact?
This is not quite as easy with inconsiderate people clogging all the gaps.
Instead, they have to wait like the little guns.  Why does amateur radio have the
"might makes right" attitude with regards to effective radiated power?  I know it
is tradition but is it not malicious interference when you intentionally transmit
over someone else?  I know,  you transmitted because you did not hear anyone else.
Normally you have a station that could hear a fly fart halfway around the world
but during the contest pileup you heard only the DX station. You see it is not
malicious interference after all.  Please realize that I am making fun but at the
same time bringing up some very serious points.  Also remember that this is
suppose to be a fun HOBBY where no one is being paid, win or lose.

Was there a problem with people being rude during the past contests by not
allowing the DX station to respond?  Yes.

Was this due in part by people receiving packet spots and crowding the frequency?
Probably Yes.

Is packet at fault?  No,  the problem is due to the civil and moral decay of
people in general. This is not a problem unique to amateur radio and it is evident
everywhere you go.  Do you ever see road rage and the running of traffic lights?
It is all apart of this "me first" attitude.  Think about it!

Are the pileup gap violators considered lids?  Yes.

Are we contesters considered lids by non-contesters when the ARRL or CQ places
spots, not much different from packet spots, in a publication announcing a contest
and then we occupy those named frequencies for the weekend with little regards to
non-contesters, nets, and what not?  Most Definitely.

I guess being a lid is just a matter of perspective.

I say be considerate of other operators and use what ever equipment you want as
long as you are honest about your classification.
Get on the air and have fun,

Dave KG0US

Administrative requests:  cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com