[CQ-Contest] Packet Pileups -> Breaking Pileups

K3BU at aol.com K3BU at aol.com
Tue Dec 5 10:04:26 EST 2000

In a message dated 12/5/2000 8:09:40 AM Eastern Standard Time,
kg0us at swbell.net writes:

>  I am sure that some people can make the ZOO analogy listed below to
describe
>  operators using amplifiers, towers, and yagi antennas.  After all, using
all
> these
>  devices to hunt DX is like hunting deer with a nuclear missile.  Not very
> sporting
>  is it!

One of those who don't get it.

IT IS NOT THE PROBLEM OF TECHNOLOGY BUT ASSISTANCE OF ARMY OF OTHER OPERATORS
through the technology when you are supposed to be YOU. And than cheating
that comes with it, claiming to be single, when he is MULTI with packet
assistance.

I don't care if you use the missile (technology assistance) to shoot the
deer, but YOU find him, that's the part of hunt and competition. I am for YOU
and all the technology you can master within the rules. It is a technical
sport and we should promote development and testing of skills (technical,
operating, endurance etc.) and not rounding up of stations for easy
"enjoyable" shoot.

Just look what happened to DXing. Your DXCC total, what does it mean? That
you are good hunter, or that you have good packet and are skilled at pushing
F1, or check into the list and help infirmary and "work" the stations by
saying "last heard you were 3 by 3"  "Good Contact!!" Yipeeee!

If we don't wake up we will degrade contesting to organized technocheating.
If we keep sanity, than we will preserve some integrity and have enjoyable
activity which will allow us to compare and measure our technical and
operating abilities.

We are trying to preserve radio for our younger ops, this is not heading in
that direction.

73 Yuri

Administrative requests:  cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com