[CQ-Contest] 10M open when it shouldn't be

Bill Turner w7ti at jps.net
Thu Dec 7 11:52:41 EST 2000

On Wed, 6 Dec 2000 21:28:48 -0800, Matt & Carrie Trott wrote:

>During dark hours when the band would normally be closed, there are a number
>of contacts that can be made from here in Montana up and down the west coast
>via meteor scatter.

Also, from the west coast, try CW on an east-west path in the hour or
so before dawn.  I often find weak but workable signals from that
direction.  They have an erratic, warbly nature which I assume is
scatter from an almost-ionized layer.  When the ionization finally
gets strong enough, the signals go from S-nothing to over 9 in a
couple of minutes.  Ten is a fascinating band!

73, Bill W7TI

Administrative requests:  cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com