[CQ-Contest] [CQ-CONTEST] IDing During a CQ

Nat Heatwole heatwole at clark.net
Sun Dec 10 17:56:11 EST 2000

This has been a question that I have been asking myself for a while now so I
thought I would throw it to the reflector to see what comes up. Putting
aside the recent threads about IDing after a QSO let's talk about IDing
during a CQ. Is it better, on phone, to ID once each CQ using only one set
of phonetics, or twice on each CQ utilizing two different sets of phonetics?
For example:

1. "CQ Contest, Whiskey-Zulu-Three-Alpha-Radio,
Whiskey-Zanzibar-Three-Alpha-Romeo, Contest"

OR

2. "CQ Contest, Whiskey-Zulu-Three-Alpha-Radio"

The second CQ is obviously shorter, however it does not give the receiving
station (particularly if the operator is not a native speaker of English) as
solid an opportunity to copy the call correctly.

Put into other words, I guess my question is: should one ID twice each CQ in
different phonetics, or just once in only one pair of phonetics (perhaps
sprinkling some different phonetics in every now and then on a QRZ perhaps)?
Many will have differing opinions, but I'm wondering what yours is and why.
All responses are appreciated.

73, Nat, WZ3AR
heatwole at clark.net
Damascus, MD