[CQ-Contest] Does might make right in contesting?

Nat Heatwole heatwole at clark.net
Fri Feb 25 19:32:19 EST 2000

On Fri, 25 Feb 2000, Kelly Taylor wrote:

> Hi,
>
> At the risk of defending the indefensible, and with respect to the
> Boston marathon example, a few thoughts:
>
> 1. Is it wrong for a hockey player to take the puck from an opponent? No.
>
> 2. How does one steal a frequency? By wilful interference, prohibited by
> most countries' laws and therefore inherently contrary to contest rules.

Right on Kelly! I think you have the right idea here. True, some frequency
takeovers are a cause of propagation shifts etc., but most are caused
intentionally. So, if you do it intentionally (knowing there is someone
else on the frequency you are trying to takeover) then you are causing
intentionally interference to that station. Meaning that in such countries
as the U.S. and Canada, you are breaking the contest rules, as well as the
law. Not to mention it's not good general operating practice.

The main point of a contest is to contact as many people as you possibly
can in a given amount of time. That means contacting them within the
limits of your license and the laws of your country. I see lots of top
contesters that claim they are one of the best. But I also know that some
of these same people that claim they are the "best of the best" run
2KW-3KW output. They are not top contesters, they are cheaters. You can't
call yourself a legitimate contester if you don't follow the rules. A
legitimate cheater yes, but a legitimate contester no. That's something
not enough contesters know. Just my 2 cents.

73's de Nat,
WZ3AR (Ex-KB3CBW)

Administrative requests:  cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com