[CQ-Contest] Bad practices identified

Bob Naumann - N5NJ n5nj at gte.net
Thu Jul 20 00:53:32 EDT 2000

In your first example, I believe that if you detect that an SO2R guy
has left and you start calling CQ and work someone - the frequency is
now yours.  There's no 60 second grace period.  I feel it's fair game
the instant he goes.  You may have to fight to retain it once the SO2R
guy comes back, but this is a *competition* after all, isn't it ? If
you don't get a run going and he returns, and re-establishes his run,
you should give up and go away as you've lost this minor "battle" in
the "war".

For the other one, this practice is clearly against the rules and
anyone doing so should feel guilty and lose sleep over it.  There are
much more commonly practiced variants - usually by multi-single
stations outside the U.S. using multiple callsigns.

73,
Bob N5NJ

Robert E. Naumann
N5NJ / V26O