[CQ-Contest] Re: Bad practices identified

VR2BrettGraham vr2bg at harts.org.hk
Mon Jul 24 03:20:51 EDT 2000

W7TI elaborated:

  Actually, I did leave the QRL? out. Several years ago K3ZO said he doesn't
  use QRL?, but rather a short CQ. If the frequency is indeed in use, he will
  be told so and will QSY. It seems like a good idea to me and that's what
  I've done ever since. Fred did get flamed somewhat, mainly I think
  because he was misunderstood. People didn't understand that he WOULD
  QSY. I still think it's a good idea because it saves a small amount of time
  many times during a contest. Comments welcome.

Even a short CQ will do a good job of trashing what's happening on that
frequency if it's already in use.  The small amount of time saved is at the
expense of someone else & could even cost them their current Q.  Yes,
you might QSY once you realize what's happening - but it's too late, the
damage is done.

The reason K3ZO can use this technique is because he doesn't use filters
& is more likely to hear that a frequency is in use as he tunes towards it.
Even then great care needs to be exercised as otherwise he'll be causing
completely avoidable & what might even be called deliberate harmful
interference.

Despite his best efforts, Fred does step on folks from time to time - me
included.  And he does move on when he realizes the frequency is QRL.
But that doesn't change the fact that he's QRM'd someone more than was
otherwise necessary in order to find out if the frequency was available.

I don't mean to slam either Fred or Bill, but if others were to adopt this
technique, it'll be worse for all of us.  Please don't.

73, VR2BrettGraham

Administrative requests:  cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com